Nguyễn
how to say "hello" in Vietnamese :D
Feb 27, 2014 2:40 AM
Comments · 9

Hello is the most common word for greeting when we meet someone else. In Vietnamese language it can replace for Good morning, good afternoon, good night... But it has many meanings which we should use suitably in accordance with the situation. In details:

- for your friends and people in close relationship ( most are the same age ): Chào, Hai,

- for elder people, you should note about gender and how much they are older than you. If you use the wrong words, you can make people unhappy.

+ a little older than you: Chào anh

+ maybe the same age to your father: Chào chú

+ very much older: Chào bác

+ like grandfather: Chào ông

The same for women:

+ Chào chị

+ Chào cô

+ Chào bác

+ Chào bà

Mostly for younger ( a little younger ) you will say: Chào em, for much younger ( maybe like your son or daughter ) : Chào cháu

Vietnamese has a proverb: The greetings are more precious than a feast. So please use the best words to make a good relationship and impression.

May 21, 2014

Hi 

There are many ways for you to say"hello' to others in Vietnamese. Try these examples:

Ơi dạo này sao rồi!      (informal)

Thưa chú, bác , cậu , cô, dì,,,,,.... when talking to the elders

Chào bạn      when first talking to a unknown friend

March 22, 2014

"Xin chào" with strangers and there are many ways to say "hello" but not using hello word.

March 4, 2014

Hmmm actually "xin chào" is strange for me. I usually say "(Ê,)(đi)đâu đấy", "(ê,)(đi) học à",.. When i see friends on the street. For olders I usually say "em chào anh/chị" "cháu chào cô/dì/chú/bác/ông/bà v..v". However, Vietnamese also has an intimate greeting like "(ăn) cơm chưa?" For neighbors,acquaintainces v..v

October 2, 2014

1/ Xin chào 

2/ Chào cô, Chào chú....

3/ Thưa bác, Thưa Ngoại.....

Vô vố kể

September 26, 2014
Show more