Darkhan
Do you celebrate Nauryz in your country?

Nauryz is a celebration date that symbolise a New Year.

In my country it is celebrated at 21 of March.(Vernal Equinox)
We believe that this day is a symbol of true Spring. It symbolises that everything is reviving, plants start growing after cold winter, birds coming back etc. At this day we share our food with neighbours and family.

In some regions celebration starts one week before 21st March.
People usually shake hands(with 2 hands) with greetings as 'Happy new year'(in our language).
Also younger people visit older family members in order to gain blessings.

This celebration is very common between Turkic countries, but I want to know if there are people who celebrate it in other countries too? 

Mar 8, 2014 2:31 AM
Comments · 6

We are celebrating Nauryz in Turkey and we call it Nevruz. On that day people do different things in different regions of Turkey. But most commons are making a fire and jumping over the fire at night, writing wishes on clothes or papers and leaving them to rivers, drawing wishes under a rose tree or writing wishes on papers and hanging them to rose trees in the middle of the night. Also we bury a coin under a rose tree, take it back next day and believe that it will bring us luck in money whole year.

March 8, 2014

Cey,

Oh wow! I know some stuf about Turkey, but never knew about 'jumping over the fire' thing. That is really interesting because in Kazakhstan no one does that. 
Having same ancestors and celebrating Nauryz differently it does catch an interest.=)

We also make a traditional drink, called 'Nauryz Kozhe' (Kozhe - is a drink made of 7 ingridients: water, meat, ayran, pasta, rice, salt and barley)

March 8, 2014

In India we have a community called PARSIS who are very less in numbers, mainly concentrated in the city of Mumbai. They came to India from persia, the curren Iran. They are followers of Zorastrianism. They celebrate it.

I believe it is still a tradition in Iran, at least some people in Iran celebrate it.

March 8, 2014

On January 31, is New Year's day in China, so we have finished through the years                             I wish you a happy New Year 

March 8, 2014

My neighbors were from Iran.  When then lived across the street from me, we all celebrated this holiday.  I had know about it from a pediatrician of mine who left Iran because he was Zorostrian.  My neighbors spread a Spring Table with objects for the celebration and we went over and shared a meal with them.  Everyone on our street joined in on the yearly Spring Celebration.

March 8, 2014
Show more