Thaddeus
Pricing of language lessons here on italki

What do you consider to be a fair price for 60 minute lessons on italki? 

Jul 10, 2014 12:49 AM
Comments · 55

I think the lessons offered on italki are very cheap.  They are tailored to the students, most of whom cannot afford exhorbitant prices.  To make a living  from teaching on italki you have to teach many many lessons in a month.

July 10, 2014

200 euro, or 250 dollars pro hour.

Well this is what a teacher asks my company for a one to one session pro hour. A course of say three full days is something like 1500 euro. People dont realize how ridiculously low prices for lessons are here at italki. If you compare them to what a professional education company asks if they educate the employees of another company it is a tip, a fee, peanuts.

July 10, 2014

Exactly SeventeenSeconds!  I earn a little more that the gardner.  I think my lessons are valuable and good - according to my many students this is so - teaching is a necessary profession but poorly paid and not recognised for it's true value.

July 10, 2014

There is nothing like "fair" price. From student`s point of view a free lesson may be fair.

The prices depend on the quality of teaching and demand. The price also depends on the economical situation of the country a teacher is living in. I have seen a German teacher offering lessons for as much as 400 ITC (ca. 29 Euro) per hour.

July 10, 2014

I am confused, Anthony.  But I am sorry if you felt negated.

I meant only to respond to your idea of changing the fundamental vision of italki by making italki a direct employer of teachers.  

To be fair, my original question was asking for what people might think was a fair price for a standard 60 minute private lesson on italki.  I was not asking whether or not users agreed with the conceptual basis of italki.  My original topic also had nothing to do with the idea of having group lessons.

When you make a topic about, for instance, "What kind of fruit is your favorite?" and I respond with "No one should eat fruit."  I would expect to receive some requests for a further explanation.

August 30, 2014
Show more