Seen
Want to learn Flemish, especially "Gentish" if possible

Hallo! So long story short, I will be moving to Belgium to be with my Flemish boyfriend (after 2 years of being in a long distance relationship, yay!) some time next year. I want to surprise my boyfriend by secretly learning Flemish because I know it will mean a lot to him and his family - brownie points for me!

However, I couldn't find any comprehensive Flemish learning courses online. So when I came upon this site, it's like I got an epiphany - I could learn Dutch online but then consult someone to help me turn that into Flemish. No offense to anyone but my boyfriend is not a huge fan of the Netherland Dutch accent hence all this trouble.

In return, I could converse with you in English (I have more of an English accent) or Mandarin and hopefully some fun companionship too! My Dutch/ Flemish is pretty non-existent now so I will only be asking some very basic stuff. So do let me know if you'd be interested in this. Bedankt!

Aug 22, 2014 5:29 PM
Comments · 5

I think that, if you speak a little normal Dutch, they will already be impressed.  Flemish from Gent is more about the accent, I thought.

I am originally from Antwerp and I can hardly understand people from Gent, and I am not the only one.

So, my advise, learn Dutch and adjust your accent slowly later as you get to interact with them.

August 23, 2014

Sorry, I was on a different device earlier. Here's the link for the <em>Flemish for Dummies</em> vlog:

<em>https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0176D83D8986B448</em>;

August 23, 2014

Dutch and Flemish are basically the same, but they have dissimilarities of course. And Ben's advice is useful

August 23, 2014

Thanks, Peachey! I will surely go through these lessons from Flemishf or Dummies, however being only 48 mins long, I suspect it won't be as comprehensive as I'd like them to be.

And you're right, Gent has its own dialect but even my boyfriend doesn't speak that (his father does, though) so I probably won't be learning that any time soon!

August 23, 2014

Have you looked at the <em>Flemish for Dummies</em> videos on youtube?

I think Ghent is in the Oost-Vlaams region, but apparently it has its own dialect as well? (Just been doing a little research online.)

August 22, 2014