Kieran
Learning new vocabulary?

I am currently studying Russian and I'm trying to find an effective way to learn vocabulary. What do you like to do? It seems a bit time consuming and not totally effective going through several different lists on different topics. By the time I get to the third page, I'll have forgotten a lot of what was on the first page.

Aug 28, 2014 7:46 PM
Comments · 5

The previous commenters gave you great tips: songs, flashcards, memrise and etc. However, I'd like to remind that all the words are remembered better if you start using them. So instead of going over three pages with three different topics, just pick a topic and start use the words with your language partner. You can repeat it again in your next chat session or return to it after a time. Use your new words actively. Say them, write them in your notebooks and comments. By the way, as a native English speaker your shouldn't have any problem in finding a language partner. Good luck with your Russian!

August 30, 2014

Flashcards are, to my opinion, the most effective way to learn vocabulary during the early stages. The good thing about flashcards is that you can play with them in transport, in a queue, whenever you have a free minute, and memorize the words. Learning words with flashcards is better than just looking at a list of words because, when you see a clearly written single word on a card, you subconsciously memorize how it looks like and associate in with the meaning.

You can make physical flashcards from cardboard and paper if you want, but I prefer having them on mobile phone. Many people use a free program called Anki/AnkiDroid. I personally didn't like Anki - poor design and the program is far too complicated. The best one I found so far is SuperCard. It's free but it shows ads unless you pay I don't remember how much but not very much. It's also for Android, and what I liked about it is the opportunity to take different types of quiz with your set of cards, either by choosing a correct answer or by input, either by choosing the translation or the original etc. The only bad thing about Supercard is that it tends to display Ш instead of Щ, that must be annoying when you study Russian. But maybe they fixed that already.
I'm sure that you will find many other free flashcard programs if you look for them, I just mostly used these two. As to paid programs, these seem to be pretty good: http://www.libphil.ca/. I've never had a look at their Russian program (no need to study Russian when you are Russian) but those I used were pretty good. Unlike Anki and Supercard, you cannot make your own flashcards there but the sets of cards are very accurately made, with most useful basic vocabulary in the beginning. They also do grammar exercises and have nice design.
Finally, you can just make jpg cards with the words you need and play with them in your phone. You won't have the quiz opportunity but some people like it that way.

August 29, 2014

Try this Russian Learners' Dictionary 10000 Words in Frequency Order

August 28, 2014

you can always try learning song lyrics. You hit two birds with one stone this way; you listen to a song you love and when you learn it and sing along, you will memorize the new words. It kind of works for me. There is also reading. you can read a story and explain new vocabulary you encounter in the story as you go along. It's really effective and enjoyable. Have you ever tried watching TV programs in English with Rassian subtitles? It does work, too. And make sure you have a note pad while doing that because you will want to write down the new words and phrases you come across. Besides, it gives you the opportunity to see how the language is used in different contexts and also how the same words are used differently according to situations. 

August 28, 2014

Try quizlet.com or memrise.com - maybe it will live up to your needs.

August 28, 2014