Tosha
Community Tutor
Learning Article : 25 Commonly-Used Idioms In The Corporate World

Discuss the Article : 25 Commonly-Used Idioms In The Corporate World

<a href='/article/238/25-commonly-used-idioms-in-the-corporate-world' target='_blank'>25 Commonly-Used Idioms In The Corporate World</a>

In the world of business, idioms are constantly being used in English-speaking workplaces. Learn what they mean and examples for using them effectively! "Start off on the right foot" and read more…

Aug 29, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 45

Dan, it is fairly rude to comment on an article that you mentioned you have not taken time to read. This article was geared towards helping those who are seeking to work in the corporate world. As someone who has worked in this environment for SEVERAL years, I know for a FACT that every last one of these idioms are legitimate. I can’t go a day without hearing or using one of the aforementioned idioms (especially, since the majority of my roles have been in management). Of course, there are some idioms that irritate me more than others, but our personal preferences should not deter anyone from having the opportunity to learn or incorporate them into their vocabulary.

September 3, 2014

I haven't look at it yet. I'm about to look at it and will count the number of them I think are legitimate. 

Yes, these are all common and current and should be part of one's passive vocabulary. Don't try to use them, some of them are pretty hackneyed.

I shudder whenever I hear the phrase "think outside the box." Hopelessly overused.

By the way, that particular phrase comes from an old brain-teaser.  You see a pattern of nine dots in three rows of three. You are told to "draw four straight lines that will go through all nine dots, without lifting the pencil or tracing the same line twice. One solution is this one:

http://www.abiggerga.me/blog/wp-content/uploads/ninedots_answer3.jpg

The puzzle is difficult because people assume a limitation that isn't there. They assume that the lines need to stay inside the "box" formed by the nine dots. In order to solve the problem, you need to "think outside the box."

September 2, 2014

Adrian,I'm glad you found the list to be interesting. I can't believe I didn't add "nip something in the bud" to my list! I use that a lot as well. I also agree that it is truly amazing to be able to express your view point in one short phrase. It has been in my experience that people are often more receptive to listening to others when they can be concise. Using idioms is definitely one way to accomplish that feat. :)

September 21, 2014

This is a great list Tosha. Not only are these used in the corporate world, but in the public sector and in personal life as well.

Another phrase that is very common around here, unfortunately one could say, is the phrase "They threw him under the bus" meaning that, of all the people who were guilty of causing a problem, only one person ended up getting the blame. Kind of like "scapegoat" (o "cabeza de turco" como usted sabe). I have seen some foreigners startle a bit the first time they heard that one!

November 10, 2014

I found this really interesting even though I'm a native speaker!  I recognised most of the ones on the list except for "taking the bull by the horns".  A new one for me...

To add to your list, an idiom I find myself using frequently l is "to nip something in the bud". 

One really feels the richness and expanse of English when it is considered that such short phrases such as these can convey so much meaning!

:)

September 21, 2014
Show more