marcello
Italian song in England

Which are the most famous italian song in England?

Aug 29, 2014 4:21 PM
Comments · 7

Popular music is dominated by the English language to such an extent that, unfortunately, the average person in Britain or the States - for example -  feels no need to discover songs in other languages. This is a shame, of course.

There's always opera, though. More cultured Anglophones are familiar with Italian as a result of the classical repertoire of opera. And following the 1990 World Cup, even the most ignorant football fan here can recognise Puccini's 'Nessun Dorma'.

August 30, 2014

@Karin 

mmm I don't think it s an italian song. It reminds me "la cucaracha" from Mexico :)

August 30, 2014

Sorry Maurizio it's embarrassing, but then we are the worst linguists in the world (well maybe the Americans are worse than us), and as a consequence our knowledge of non English language music does not extend very far. And if you think our knowledge of Italian songs is bad, well don't even ask about our knowledge of German songs ;-).

August 29, 2014

Volare, O Sole mio, Non ho l'eta, Tu vuo fa' l'Americano......

August 29, 2014

There is a song that is always played at my little boys' school discos that sounds like "Cucherah, cucherah, chucherah, rah rah".  It has actions, saluting and putting arms out, and then going round in a circle sticking your bottom out.  It sounds like Italian to me, but I do not speak a work of your language!  Do you know of this song??!!

August 29, 2014
Show more