巴山夜雨
How to make friends with American ?

I am a Chinese lady,I love Chinese traditional culture very much,but I am also very intrested in western culture,so I make an American friend online. He is a English teacher in China,and he just come back to China this week. I wanted to make a meeting with him ,so we had the below dialogue : 

A: Welcome come back to China.

B: Thanks.

A: Are you free now?

B:I'm free.

A:can we have a meeting now?I have a little gift for you.

B: I 'm sorry. I am not free now.maybe we can meet for another time.

I am confused, I don't know his true meanings. 

Aug 31, 2014 9:16 AM
Comments · 7

I really don't see the contradiction. I am free (to chat online) does not contradict I am not free (to come and meet you). The former clearly requires less freedom than the latter. 

August 31, 2014

巴山夜雨

It  is always an unpleasant experience,  if we offer a gift to someone, and they answer something like;

"I am not free now.  Maybe we can meet for another time."

It appears that such an answer shows that the person does not care about our gift.

It may be that this is the way that the person  expresses that they understand  someone wants a

close personal friendship; but they are trying to tell you that they do not want for you to be their close personal friend.  Sometimes, it is difficult for a person  declining our friendship, to do so spontaneously in a way that is polite.   Perhaps if they had more time to think about an answer, they could think of something very polite to say.

Still,  as much as we may desire a particular friend,  it may be that the other person   is unable to return  the feelings.

I know that it may seem unfair. After all,   we may suppose that all people want more love and friendship,  rather than less.  This is how life is though.  One  must move  on and seek friendship elsewhere.

August 31, 2014

First he said he was free now and then the next minute he said he wasn't free now.  He does seem to be contradicting himself.  I understand why you are confused.  I agree with Billzhou, you should communicate more with him and get to know him better online or by telephone before you'd meet him in person and give him a gift. 

August 31, 2014

I assume you were speaking online. So maybe, in answer to your first question, he meant that he was free to chat a little, but, in answer to your second, not free to meet. Of course, he needs more time to meet you and receive a gift than to chat for a few minutes. 

August 31, 2014

Do you know much on him? How long have you known him? It's terrible to accept a date from a person you don't know much on internet, especially from a girl. So communicate more and then request a face-to-face talk.

August 31, 2014
Show more