marcello
Song and Country

Where do you live?

Which are the most famous Italian song in your country?

Sep 1, 2014 12:18 PM
Comments · 6

Unfortunately I don't know new Italian singers and music composers but I roughly sure that a main part of classic music and musical instuments were shaped in Italy. 

September 2, 2014

Honestly, very few non-English songs have had great commercial success in the United States.  In fact, there's only been one Italian song that hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100; and this happened 56 years ago , during the very early history of the Billboard Hot 100, when Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu's song "Volare" hit number one on the charts in 1958.       

The Billboard Hot 100 is the American music industry standard popularity chart for singles issued weekly by Billboard magazine.  Chart rankings are based on radio play, streaming online, and sales.  The Billboard Hot 100 chart began to track the top 100 songs in the United States on August 4, 1958.

According to the Billboard Hot 100, there have been only six non-English language songs to hit number-one on this chart. 

"Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)" — Domenico Modugno (Italian – August 18, 1958 for five non-consecutive weeks )

"Sukiyaki" — Kyu Sakamoto (Japanese – June 15, 1963 for three weeks)

"Dominique" — The Singing Nun (French – December 7, 1963 for four weeks)

"Rock Me Amadeus" — Falco (German – March 29, 1986 for three weeks)

"La Bamba" — Los Lobos (Spanish – August 29, 1987 for three weeks)

"Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)" — Los del Río (English/Spanish – August 3, 1996 for fourteen weeks)

September 1, 2014

Khosro, well, if we list Nino Rota we shouldnt' forget Morricone as well)

September 1, 2014

I think the most famous Italian music in the world is Godfather's music. I guess many Godfather's themes are based on Italian folk music. 

September 1, 2014

Idk) A lot of Celentano, Cutugno etc (i believe there was a famous female singer as well), some of classical opera and Neapolitan songs... That's about the generation of my parents.
And I cann't pick a song as 'the most famous one'. Maybe it's good idea to consult my parents. There was enough Italian in soviet TV/radio)

Today it's a pretty rare occasion when you hear something non-English and non-Russian, so probably 'the most famous one' may exist. But I cann't remember any <em>modern</em> Italian hit.

September 1, 2014
Show more