Lisa
Messages disappearing from inbox

I wonder if anyone here has had the same problem... This morning, I received a new message and read it on my phone but I didn't have the time to answer. When I opened the inbox about 10 mins later, the message was gone. I feel a bit uncomfortable because that was a message from a potential student and I really try to answer them promptly.I definitely didn't delete the message myself.

Any ideas about what could happen? I don't really want to bother the technical support because the person could have deleted their message. I wonder if you get notifications in this case. The other side of it is that I was being asked if that was possible to give lessons outside italki, so I was going to say no and encourage the correspondent to have lessons here. Could they have deleted that person's account simply because of that?

Sep 1, 2014 2:34 PM
Comments · 12

Ditto on what Elias wrote. The messenging system here does all sorts of whacky things for me. I have probably insulted a great many people without having any intention of doing so. With a potential student situation, I think you made a wise decision contacting Italki asap and posting this discussion too so that they might see it. 

Good luck! 

September 1, 2014

This website is ful of issus with the messaging service. I had several problems with it. Sometimes, I send a message but the other person never receive it. Also, sometimes, I have a notification about a message I received, I see the message in the notification, but when I open the message, the one I received doesn't appear, and I can't delete the notification. It remains for days !!

September 1, 2014

Liza, is this the first & only message from this person?  If not, if this person has sent you a message before, this could have been the email notification from that message, not indicating a new message.  I have often checked italki & seen new messages and hours later received an email notification of a new message.  I go to check & there is no message because the email is referring to a past message that I have already read.  If this is the first ever message you've received from this person then obviously this does not apply to your situation.

September 1, 2014

Hi Liza,

If you think that it can be a message from a (present or future) student, I advise you to bore the techical service and as soon as possible!

I have been having problems with the messaging service of Italki during the whole week-end. 

I wrote to a teacher on Friday (I think) but she never received this message, although in my e-mail it was marked as sent.

She (the teacher) sent me a message the same Friday, as the date shows; but I only got it this morning.

So I advise you to write to the maintenance service and also to use an extra e-mail address (out of the Italki one) to take and keep the contact with students. It's more sure. And it doesn't give the impression that you don't want to answer to people!

I hope this message is useful. Good luck with your lessons !!!

September 1, 2014

Yes, exactly. I wrote to them already, hope this gets resolved. It isn't very easy to find students if you have just registered... No good if you ignore their messages, albeit inadvertently.

September 1, 2014
Show more