Heidi
Why Danish?

I understand why people want to learn English, French, German and Chinese but why in heavens name do people learn Danish??? (written with a BIG provocative smile) Please let me know...

Sep 2, 2014 6:32 AM
Comments · 16

Personally I started off wanting to learn Swedish because I love scandinavia and there was something about sweden that i love. I bought the teach yourself swedish book but found it dull. I wanted to use Duolingo to learn a language from scratch but the swedish course was still in development. However at the time the Danish course had just been released, so I decided to give Danish a try - not expecting anything from it really. I found the language strangely intriguing and I'm actually really enjoying it.

i know that many Danes speak English fluently or very well but if you love a language for lingustic purposes then you should learn it for that reason - i think Danish pronunciation is weird but has a certain charm which males it different to it's Nordic brothers. And of course learning Danish will prepare me for when I do decide to learn swedish (and maybe even norweigan) in the future :) 

September 2, 2014

Hello Heidi,

this is a very old thread, and you don´t seem to visit the site very often, but all the same: your question is often asked by Danes. Or if they don´t ask exactly this question, they are very often impressed and a bit incredulous that someone should want to learn their "small" language.

One of the possible reasons (an aspect of why I´m learning Danish, in any case) is that you are interested in / love the country. One way of getting to know a country, getting to know it better, in a deeper sense, is to learn the language. I´ve always loved Denmark, but my language skills (ahem) make it possible to read newspapers, see films, listen to the radio, read books, HAVE TALKS WITH DANES (in their native language, which is a far cry from a talk in English). This means that a new world "opens". A Danish world. ;-)

And besides, I love languages. :-)

Best wishes,

Britt-Marie 

March 25, 2018

people do what they like to do.

September 2, 2014

Maybe somebody wants to move there? Wants to impress his/her gf/bf? From Danish then it's easy to learn Swedish and Norwegian. 

September 2, 2014
The happiest country in the world according to many studies. I went there everyone was riding a bike to his work or school isn't that humble
April 4, 2020
Show more