DariaM
Concept "Lady"

Hello everyone!
I need your help in a questionnaire i have- i am really looking forward to getting British native speakers' answers connected with a concept "lady". Could you help me? I guess it won't take long, there are just 3 questions:

Age___

1. Many people associate the word “apple” with such words as “fruit”, “pear”, “Adam”, “Eve” etc., the word “bird” – with “sparrow”, “to fly”, “wing”, etc. What words do you associate the word “lady” with?

2. How would you define the word lady?

3. Imagine a situation and fill in the gaps with appropriate words. Somebody said about some woman “She’s a lady”. It happened, most probably, in__________ or______________century. The woman lives in_________________or_________________(country). She is from__________society and has got___________ education (good, bad etc).

Thank you in advance :)

Sep 15, 2014 9:23 AM
Comments · 4

Hello Daria

I'm not sure if this is what you need, but I'll try to answer the questions the way I feel you need.

1. Many people associate the word “apple” with such words as “fruit”, “pear”, “Adam”, “Eve” etc., the word “bird” – with “sparrow”, “to fly”, “wing”, etc. What words do you associate the word “lady” with?

Lady - I would associate with royalty, upper class, (my lady, Lady Diana etc.), also ladybird, ladybug!

To say that a woman is a lady, is usually respectful and means she is elegant and smart with good manners. It could also sometimes used in a derogatory fashion - sometimes used by men to a stranger - i.e. "Lady, that was a red light!" etc.

3. Imagine a situation and fill in the gaps with appropriate words. Somebody said about some woman “She’s a lady”. It happened, most probably, in_19th____ or_____20th_________century. The woman lives in___England___________or_United Kingdom________________(country). She is from__high/middle class________society and has got__a good_________ education (good, bad etc).

I hope this helps!

October 5, 2014

Thank you all for your answers, ladies :)))

MoiraWendy Miller, that helped, but still- i'd like to get more specific answers, if you please

October 5, 2014

Good morning. I'm English, speak the Queen's English, am well-educated, have ridden to hounds and done all the things an English 'lady' should do.

However, I don't think I'm much of a lady! I swear too much and am not very well-mannered sometimes.

Does this help give an insight?

October 5, 2014

I associate lady with, lady fern, lady Jane Grey, Lady Diana and people who are upper class or related to upper classes.

A lady I feel is lady-like, gentle, caring, good-mannered, has integrity, and is honourable and should be respectful.

3. Imagine a situation and fill in the gaps with appropriate words. Somebody said about some woman “She’s a lady”. It happened, most probably, in the 18th or 19th century. The woman lives in the countryside or the UK. She comes from good society and has got good education (good, bad etc).

October 5, 2014