Sergey
English Humor.

English humor. What is its specificity?

Sep 17, 2014 5:34 AM
Comments · 4

Hi Sergey ,it is a little difficult to define English humour.It is usually humour which is a lttle dry and understated.It is more subtle than American humour.In fact the Americans often don't like British humour very much,because they kind of miss the point.You could try looking at some sketches by the famous Monty Python troupe who are very typical of British "absurd" or Nonsense humour.I think you may enjoy them.Other famous examples are Douglas Adams in his book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe".

This is the famous "dead Parrot" sketch by Monty Python- enjoy! http://youtu.be/4vuW6tQ0218

September 17, 2014

When someone tells me the humour of a film/piece of theatre is "British", I immediately imagine a series of bitter tasting situations, where something that is normally considered and treated as a serious theme, even dramatic, is presented in a way that makes you laugh.
You amuse yourself for thing that are normally considered not hilarious, often embarrassing.
You laugh while asking yourself "how can I laugh for something like this?".

I think the best way to understand and appreciate (or not) the British humour, is directly see how it works. Just yesterday I started to watch "The office": it is an American series, however it's been adapted from a British one by the same authors.
You really should watch the first episodes of the first season (the one of 2005) to see how different is this humour from the one of an American typical film.

(Expecially the second episod, "The Diversity Day", about racism) 

You can watch it here: http://ororo.tv/en
It is a good site, films and series are subtitled and you dispose of a daily hour free watching.

Well, watch it, you'll tell me how you feel afterwards!

September 17, 2014

Thanks for the link. I'll be watching.

September 17, 2014

The recipe of preparation of English humor.You take the three parts of irony, sarcasm three parts, three parts ironic and one part black soot  and mix it all in a blender. Something like this?

September 17, 2014