Jack
Is there any big distinction between these 3 words

#vanish

#fade

#perish

thanks for your help in advance

Sep 17, 2014 8:03 AM
Comments · 6

Yes there is. In contrast to vanish and fade he suffers the death.

September 17, 2014

Perish = cease to exist, to die

Fade = to gradually disappear from  sight

Vanish = to disappear from view

September 17, 2014

'Vanish' means to disappear <em>quickly</em> from view.  The object which has vanished may still exist, and may still be in perfect condition. Example:

"I saw her a moment ago.  Then she vanished."  (We know she still exists, and she's probably fine, but she disppeared quickly.)

'Fade' means to reduce something <em>slowly</em> until it is imperceptible or nearly imperceptible. The object which has faded may still exist, and may still be in perfect condition.  Examples:

"I saw her a moment ago.  Then she faded in to the distance." (Again, she still exists, and she's probably fine, but she disappeared slowly.)

"The song was initially loud, then it faded until I could barely hear it."  (Again, the music is still there, and its quality has not changed, but we can no longer hear it.)

'Perish' means to <em>ruin</em> something.  The object may or may not still be in view, and its ruination may occur quickly or slowly, but the object is ruined or destroyed. Examples:

"My photos perished in the fire."  (Here, the burning occurred quickly, and the photos no longer exist.)

"The man perished in the desert."  (Here, the poor man died slowly, and his corpse is still visible.)

September 17, 2014

If something vanishes, it dissappears quickly and suddenly.

If something fades, it dissapears slowly.

To perish is to die violently.

By the way, why did you use hashtags?

September 17, 2014

Jmat:

No why, just want to show them clearly.

September 17, 2014
Show more