English with Chris
italki 2014 October Language Challenge!

What is the italki 2014 October Language Challenge?

Pledge 100ITC to take 12 hours of lessons during the month of October (October 1st - October 31st) (about three, one-hour lessons per week- the minimum for learning a language). At the end of the Challenge if you compete your lessons, we will give you 200ITC and return your 100ITC pledge. But the real prize is, of course, that you will have improved your language skills. Nothing beats learning and winning at the same time. -Mr. Support @ italki.com

More information at http://support.italki.com/entries/55675570-italki-2014-October-Language-Challenge-Official-Rules-and-FAQs

-Looking to get started?

-Feeling overwhelmed?

-Need a great teacher?

Take a trial lesson with me for only 20IC!

This is open to all students, and participants of the itakli 2014 October challenge!

Find me at http://www.italki.com/teacher/1610322

Good luck everyone! 

Sep 19, 2014 10:21 PM
Comments · 21

No they don't.

September 20, 2014

Hi Gillian,

I think that everyone ask him/herself the same questions as you at the beginning. I'll try to answer some of them, but consider that I'm not a teacher. I can just share my own experience of student.

<em>
</em>

<em>I am only a beginner at French, are lessons maybe too early for me?</em>
I don't think they are. As a beginner, you can do a lot of progress on your own, that's true. And it is also positive that you can practice with your contacts.
However, a good professional teacher is important to "revisit your knowledge" and to correct immediately your mistakes, which you are not always aware of and which risk to change themself quickly into bad habits.

The rhythm of lessons depends on you, of course. I'd start with something like two lessons per week of one hour each. In these you can do a sort of recap of what you'll be learning: you'll fix and correct as you go along your studying.

<em>So would it be best to send a list to the teacher first?</em>
Yes, contact the teacher first: you'll explain your situation, your level, what you are expecting from the lessons, your goals. That's what you're supposed to do. However, Gillian, the first lesson is always a 'trial one': teacher will normally check your situation and you'll organize together a kind of program for the next meetings.

(to be continued)

September 21, 2014

Some of them allready used but they can also try instant tutoring usually are more cheap or some teachers like me have different options of time so they can also try 30 min with some teachers. You also have 30 min lesson.

September 21, 2014

We just can do 3 trial lessons in total

September 21, 2014

Thanks for posting Phuong!

Dave is correct! The trial lessons do not count towards the total. The lowered trial price allows students to find the right teacher without investing a great deal of money.

<em>"It seems it's like the same than "buy 200 dollars on supermarket and you may be refund"... Free to those that want to spend money like that but IMHO it's to to force people to consum quickly..."</em>

I understand what you're saying, but allow me to offer another view.

italki does not say you "may" get a refund. The rewards and investments involved are detailed very clearly. Pledge 100IC, learn for 12 hours between October 1st -31st, and on completion receive back your 100IC pledge + an additional 200IC for completing the challenge.

There's no <em>"force people to consum quickly"</em>. Nobody is making anyone participate. You accept the challenges and the associated risks of your own free will. It's an added incentive to enroll in lessons. Sometimes that's what it takes to make the difference in someones life and learning. 

For those looking to take lessons, this is a great opportunity to get started.

September 20, 2014
Show more