Jaime
How do I dive in to a new language?

I have started to learn Irish this week and have been exposing myself to the language online as much as I can by listening to Irish radio. I have written down nearly 100 common Irish words, their English translation and how it is pronounced on flash cards. So far this week, I've picked up some basic words and phrases with little to no effort (hello, how are you, my name is, I am from, thank you, I, we, this, etc.) but now that I'm all prepared with my flash cards, ready to really dive in, I feel stuck. How many words should I be memorizing each day? Should I start by trying to pronounce the words first then attach the meanings to them? When should I start looking into grammar and creating sentences? (I'm a bit intimidated by the grammar!) Help!

Sep 19, 2014 11:12 PM
Comments · 5

Hi Jaime,

Why don't you check out Memrise? http://www.memrise.com/ It's a great way to build your vocabulary and have fun doing it! I'm currently learning a course called Beginner Irish: First Step to Spoken Irish by sallya which is based on Buntús Cainte. Memrise is not the greatest for grammar though. You might want to try Bitesize Irish Gaelic or Gaeilge Gan Stró (ranganna.com). Both of those courses are great at breaking down the grammar into small, unintimidating pieces.

Go n-éirí leat! Good luck!

November 21, 2014

Well... Today I speak 6 different languages and I've learned all of them through music, internet, movies and all that stuff... and for me the best way to "dive into" a language is first learning how to ask questions. Because it's the questions that will increase your knowledge in the language, so the first thing I learned were how to say "what, when, which, how, where, who, why" and then I would add context to those words... so I'd ask something like "who are you? where do you live? Why are you learning..." and then I would work on how I would answer those questions and so it goes on and on... I hope I was helpful :)

November 23, 2014

Jaime, about your last phrase...
grammar is a way to desribe languges, or to study them in the sense of scholarship.
It wasn't designed for learning, but still it's helpful and even crucial. If you feel intimidated, you may try it  other way: just read whatever text you like, memorize songs etc... And when you feel curious or when you fill you need to consult the grammar to check something - do it. This way it becomes a way less boring (at least for me).

Though 1... I have no idea how to start speaking or writing without knowlege of the grammar:) As it was said above, speaking is <em>more</em> than helpful. I learn languages just to understand texts, it's an entirely different story from yours.

Though 2... Those who have studied grammar usually speak a way better. Sometimes I just cannot help but admire a far eastern girl writing clear and correct Russian after just a year of learning (you know how hard any european languges are for Chinese).
Still I'm always driven by curiosity, while they do work hard...
---
- If you abstained from the grammar completely, there should be a moment when reading it'd make a huge breakthrough.
- I've always found funny to read book/course/grammar on one target languge written on another:) My first experience with French was a course in Breton, and the first serious texts in english i've read (apart from video-games...) were about Irish, Old Irish etc...:)))

- You're asking 'how ot dive'???? Isn't itaki jsut the proper place to find a speaker or two and, uh.. dive?:)
Don't forget audio-books: for the modern spoken literary languages translated books you are already familiar with (or the ones you aren't familiar with, but still <em>not</em> the local classics) fit well. Harry Potter kind:) Coupled with the text they work well. This recomendation comes often from polyglots, not from me.

September 21, 2014

Speaking from day 1 is the only way..... http://www.fluentin3months.com/how-to-start-learning-a-language/

Hope this helps.

September 21, 2014

https://www.duolingo.com/course/ga/en/Learn-Irish-Online ;

I think you should start with grammar by this portal. I recommend it for the beginning(ofc if you don't know it yet). ofc it is  completely for free. 

I noticed that irish grammar is pretty difficult so better start from beginning at least with basics by duolingo.

"How many words should I be memorizing each day?"

It is only depending on you. I'm trying to learn 15-30 words each day, but if you feel strong enough you can try even with 50 :)

Good luck!

September 19, 2014