Matteo
Professional Teacher
Cultural shock

Interesting post published by Live Lingua:

http://goo.gl/Y16W2p

Sep 22, 2014 1:00 AM
Comments · 7

Matteo, I wonder if you can relate to the following. But many may not of course.

What if you have spent several years or much time with another person from another culture, a relationship/deep friendship, then this finishes or ends for some reason. It can be hard because all the time you have been part of their culture, language, life, family, food, habits, car, hobbiesm worries, happiness etc and then it stops, yet life goes on and everywhere you go there is this part of you still seeming to stick when you least expect it too. You smell or see something and it keeps reminding you of this country/culture even after the feelings and emotions have reduced or gone, I wonder if it is just me that experiences this? I feel this reverse culture shock.

September 22, 2014

it is the story of my life: an idealized root in Italy, my native coutry, but many years of living in different countries. No belongness (?). 

September 22, 2014

Yes, I completly understand this, and was just thinking about it today. It is such a weird feeling to feel like a stranger in your own land. To feel a bit awkward and that everything feels a little off centre. You can feel that things are not right or even not nice 'back home'. People seem differnt, things smell different and sound different.

September 22, 2014

Yes, it was/is definitively worthy. I learn a lot, especially what it is important for my life. 

And, I agree with who says about "the partner" issue. You can absorbe her/his culture but you should bear in mind to not cancel your background.

I am a bit settle now:) 

September 22, 2014

I have felt this even moving to different places in the United States. I remember feeling much more culture shock going from New York to Seattle and later from New York to Florida then I felt going from Spain to New York (even though I couldn't speak English very well when I got back). 

Matteo, do you think that all the moving was worth it? Do you think having a new cultural flexibility and language ability outweighs the feeling of not belonging? 

September 22, 2014
Show more