Lucas147C
Are YouTube videos a good way to learn a language?

I'm not talking about online teaching videos but normal videos with native speaker talking about all sorts of topics.

In portuguese, if you watch a video from Porta dos Fundos (wich is the biggest YouTube chanel in Brazil), you will hear a lot of expressions that no book will teach you but only makes sense if you know about our culture, so it's not worthy if you don't have someone to ask about its meaning.

Does that happens in your language?

Sep 23, 2014 3:30 AM
Comments · 8

Eu penso que estar exposto a língua é uma boa ferramenta, por mais que não entendamos, estamos expostos. Depende muito da maneira que a pessoa estuda uma língua. Eu estou de acordo com você, caso sejamos iniciantes ou sem muito conhecimento das expressões idiomáticas, ver estes vídeos pode ser pouco satisfatório. Tenho alunos de português avançados que falam melhor que a população geral do Brasil (em termos de coerência, gramática e etc), porém não conseguem entender nada em um simples vídeo onde haja brasileiros conversando no dia-a-dia. 

September 23, 2014

Yeah It's perfect. I've improved my English a lot from watching north american youtubers. Good Mythical Morning is a nice example.

September 28, 2014

In my opinion all kind of exposure to a language you are learning is good, you re  getting used to the sound of the language, also it benefits your vocabulary and pronunciation. I am gonna check that  Porta dos Fundos for sure, I was once already looking for a YouTube chanel in Portuguese myself, but I at the moment I am watching from time to time  somekind of "beauty" channel. 

I like this chanel http://youtu.be/GClwSA1vTS4 and I ve found the "easy Portuguese" very useful as the video comes with subtitles, though the pronunciation freaks me out, I've never heard that kind of "r". 

Honesly, I have no idea what is the most popular youtube in chanel. 

September 23, 2014

I am using Semantica-Portuguese.com  It uses soap-opera type stories, broken up into 3-5 mins with optional subtitles and a discussion type breakdown to teach, as well as little grammar lessons.  It's really good 

September 29, 2014

Hi, my dear

How are you doing today, I am miracle igee i saw your profile today - i like it, then i decided to contact you for going into deep rellastionship between me and you you, if you fill the same way kindlly get back to me with my Email address Via ([email protected]) so that i will send my
picture for you ok, and tell you more about me,am hoping to read your
mail in my mail box soon, ([email protected])

Miracle

July 29, 2015
Show more