Noel
how to get along with a barking dog.

I met a dog one night, and he <or she> followed me and started barking. I hate that dog and was afraid of it very much

Sep 23, 2014 3:27 PM
Comments · 42

Dorothy,

If you're going to criticize me, please don't use strawmen.

I don't hate dogs.

I don't want to kill dogs just because they growl.

I don't want to kill dogs just because they bark. 

And people don't hate dogs just because they disagree with your posts. 

I love dogs, and have owned several. That being said, I've been attacked by dogs several times in my life. I've never been seriously injured. But I had a friend in grade school who was almost killed by a St. Bernard. The dog was loose and agressive and bit off a big portion of his face. The dog was put down immediately, which was certainly the correct thing to do. I'm very much against saving dogs who have proven to be aggressive and problematic if that will deny resources to save good dogs, like ones whose owners have just grown tired of them and left them at the dog pound, puppies that were abandoned, etc.  

Sorry if I got this wrong - but am I being accused of being some troll account? If not, I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

September 28, 2014

For your dog: train them (it is actually quite easy to stop dogs from barking)

For other dogs: General rule. Ignore them. Do not look at them at all. Just pretend you didn't notice them. Most animals don't like to get looked at by strangers.

September 25, 2014

friends, I talked to its owner, and things are getting better!

September 25, 2014

Dorothy, unless it's a puppy playing with its owners or something, following + barking = agression. Train it, lock it up, or put it down, but don't let your animals behave like this.

September 25, 2014

Dorothy, the dog was <em>following her</em> and barking. I stand by my op - lock the dog up or put it down. I realize it's not very helpful advice to the thread starter; she probably doesn't have these options. Your post is really good and much more helpful to her. But the dog is overly aggressive, and will eventually attack people if it hasn't already. It's possible to train this out of him, but quite difficult, and extremely unlikely in a developing nation. 

September 24, 2014
Show more