[Deleted]
what's good to work abroad?

Is it good to be in your own country or just going abroad and get a job? you may say u love the country, u love its culture and it's a best opportunity, you could blablablaba....but what do u get finally? get handsome guy or a beautiful woman as your boy/girlfriend? what's the advantage and disadvantage of working abroad?

Oct 1, 2014 2:10 AM
Comments · 10

I worked abroad in China and honestly it was a good experience - I wish I had stayed longer. I think for any choice in life there are trade offs. You will both gain and lose something.

The good: I got to live in a Chinese immersion environment and got to see what daily life was like for the people in the society, made friends and even nabbed a handsome guy as my boyfriend to boot.

The bad: culture shock, being without electricity or water on certain days, LOUD noise, lack of planning ahead (we found out about things at the last minute), too crowded, spitting, generally not that clean, people yelling at me to read the menu (I asked if they sold something but I can't read) or scolding me at times. Keep in mind I am treated differently than other foreigners because I'm Chinese in appearance so I blend in but at other times it's frustrating because I can't read Chinese and people assume I'm Chinese so they think I'm stupid like "how come this girl is illiterate?". My caucasian co-workers were stared at in public and people often would say "hello" and randomly want to take a picture with them in the supermarket. And yes, some people told me my Chinese was "wrong" which I didn't think was polite.

Yes, I was scolded and disrespected and it didn't feel good and sure I got ripped off at times but would I do it again? Yes I would. Even though there were a lot of rude people, looking back, I made so many good friends and contacts. I think the first time is the hardest because of the culture shock and with culture shock you do go through a period of hating everything and everyone but eventually you recover.

I felt this experience made me stronger and now employers see it as an asset and are really impressed. I encourage everyone to have a try while you are still single and not have a family. Good luck!

October 1, 2014

Not in my case. I'm not allowed to stay in many countries for more than 90 days because of my nationality. When I was younger I looked forward to working in other countries, but once I run into the reality I had to rule out that dream.  Now, I prefer to stay in my country because I have something here that I can't get in any other country :Respect. 

October 1, 2014

That's true, i know it's tough to live abroad,but look on the bright side, what can't beat you down makes you stronger than ever, great and tough experience you would never have and when u finally get through all the things, then nothin would ever beat you down,anyway,thank you so much for your comment Camilo.

October 1, 2014

I think it's better to stay in one's country. People in developped countries tend to be racist and xenophobic. I think working abroad is not a good idea. In other countries, the locals will do anything possible to discredit your qualifications because you studied in a non-developped country. Plus, if you don't speak the local language, people there will look down on you. I have many friends who have left Colombia due to safety concerns and their experiences living abroad have not been nice at all. I think it's good to visit other countries and to get to know other cultures, but when it comes to living in a country that is not your homeland the experience may turn into a nightmare. Specially, when you come from a country that everybody looks down on like mine. 

October 1, 2014

90 days is enough to experience a country / culture.

Yes, you will run into some assholes, but you'll also meet cool people.

At the end of the 90 days, you just go back to your country. Whether you liked the country or not, you'll definitely have one hell of a story to tell to your grandchildren and friends. =-p

Just in case I'm using too many idioms.
"a hell of a" someone or something and a helluva someone or something
1. Inf. a very bad person or thing. (Use caution with hell.) That's a hell of a way to treat someone. He's a hell of a driver! Watch out! 2. Inf. a very good person or thing. (Use caution with hell.) He is one hell of a guy. We really like him. We had a helluva good time. 

^^ this can be used like both, cool and awful at the same time =-)

October 1, 2014
Show more