Anna
To leave or not to leave?That is the question!

Hi!I need advice..It's more useful for you to attend university lessons in your native country,graduate and then go abroad to learn a language and find a good job there or continue the university directly in a foreign country and study in the language of the place?I'm in my third year of university I study scientific subjects like genetics and histology for research purposes and I have to make a choice..but I don't know what to do!!Help me,write me your experiences and what is the best solution for you even thinking of a future career :)

Oct 1, 2014 1:06 PM
Comments · 5

I think it depends entirely on your field and the job market and language demands. It depends what the purpose of you going abroad is and how good your foreign language is before you go there. I always feel like it's easier going as a student if you want to experience something culturally different because work has more demands.

October 1, 2014

In the U.S. they won't accept your bachelor's degree unless you went to Oxford, Cambridge, or a highly recognized university. They will accept it in case you wan't to get a Masters degree and advance your studies, if you come to the U.S. with a bachellor's degree from another country, you'll probably get an underskilled job. After receiving an American masters degree, you can work in the U.S. and many countries that actually recognize U.S. university degrees (I always thought it was dumb that the U.S. does not recognize foreign degrees, yet the rest of the world recognizes U.S. degrees).  I don't know how other developed countries treat foreign graduates.

I am not sure which country you are considering to move to, but making a move to a foreign country you've never lived in WILL cause a cultural shock. Depending one your reaction to this cultural shock, you might fall even more in love with the country you were planning to move to or you might start hating a lot of things you didn't know about X country. Obviously, if you stop liking the country you thought was going to be a nice place to live in, you will be stuck there doing your masters degree, but if you fall in love with that country, you will be very happy =-)

My advice is to find out what kind of jobs were citizens from your country able to get with a local education and in which country are they living. If you graduate in your country and work for a nice company, you might still get opportunities to travel for short periods of time. One of my coworkers from work has gone to Shanghai for an assignment (our company is based in the U.S.), likewise, me and my coworkers have been to different states like: New York, Washington, California, Ohio, etc. Granted, these states are not foreign countries, but they still have its perks.

October 1, 2014

I'm also a college student majoring in scientific subject. Actually I major in biology.I'm in my second year of university. I am just the kind of person you mentioned in your article who want to go abroad for studying. I want to go to US because I want to learn more things and get better education in a better environment. It's so interesting to go to other country and join their culture. I may have my future absorbing in lab and continue my research, for I don't want to give up my study since I've made decision to learn biology.

October 1, 2014

Hi Anna;

I think no body have description for, but if you have chance to transfer to another country learn language from native, study which you love field, go ahead, about job, don't worry if you enjoy in study you will enjoy in work

thanks

October 2, 2014

I forgot to include in my comment that another great way to explore a foreign country could be by applying to Masters program in the country/university of your choice AND to ask if the Masters program includes a job working at the University Lab. This will save you money and give you experience in your field + You'll get to live in that country for ~2 years.

Ask about grants to study in X University.

In the U.S. receiving grants for Masters programs is difficult. It is way easier to receive grants and scholarships as a undergraduate (A student enrolled to a bachelors degree). This might not be the case in other countries (it could be easier to get Master grants in other countries), but if you want to come to the U.S. and secure a grant, you are saving money!

October 2, 2014