Alfredo
Should I stop to learn the words?

Hi,

I've been learning Mandarin for a few days. I don't know anyone who have learned Mandarin, and I'd like some tips.

My main question now is: Should I stop to know every new word that I see, or should I just see the meaning, the characters, and move on to "re-learn" it when I see it again?

I stop to see what the characters and everything mean, and I will keep doing that, but should I also stop to learn the word or should I follow through?

What is faster?

Oct 1, 2014 3:46 PM
Comments · 21

I am a Chinese native speaker and an English learner. For my experience in learning English, I would prefer to choose some "critical" key words to refine as those words are very important to connect words into a useful sentence. For example, "engage", "employ" are 2 important words I learned not only  knowing the mearning in a a long context but also checking it up again in dictionary to see those examples listed in books. Do not focus on too abstruse English words and neither in Chinese characters.

Let's back to your Chinese (my mother language), it is not deserving of you to master those abstruse Chinese characters. If possible, enough time, check those keywords as many as you can in dictionary to see how it is expressed in examples. That would be very helpful to my knowledge.

There are several keywords I can note here:

可是、虽然,相信、

October 3, 2014

The advice from the Hacking Chinese blog is to take the following approach.  If you come across a new character or new word, look it up so that you understand the sentence, but don't bother learning the new character or word.  If you come across the same character or word a second time, then you should pause to learn the new character or word.  That seems a sensible suggestions.

October 2, 2014

Of course memorizing them is better and important:)

October 2, 2014

If you have any problem in Chinese learning, you may click me and I would like to be your best consultant.

October 3, 2014

Thank you Alister, then I should learn it just like any other language, sounds logical

October 2, 2014
Show more