James Iles
C2 without going to the country?

What do others think? Is it possible to get C1/C2 without going to the country?

As it would be almost impossible to speak a language without going to the coutnry, apart from Skype.

Thanks.

Oct 9, 2014 12:34 PM
Comments · 11

I personally got 107 on TOEFL (which equals C2 according to the scale) without going to any English-speaking countries. I grew up in a small city in China with very few foreigners but learned Enflush anyway. Good luck on learning your language!

Amy

October 9, 2014

I think it's doable. I've never set foot in any English-speaking country.

October 9, 2014

Sure. I have C1.

Actually, it doesn't matter whether you speak on skype or in the country, as long as you do it.

The only thing that it may be easier to do it in person because you have to interact on more levels.

I've known some people that went abroad only to get dissapointed about its language boosting potential.

October 24, 2014

I guess it's totally possible to get a C2 without going outside, especially in cities like "NY city", "Tokyo" where different parts of the world are gathering there.

Timothy doner is one example[ny'er from the USA].....

October 24, 2014

It's better to hire a teacher (some conversational practice course) who will be willing to explain you a lot of things. So you'd have conversations and he will voluntarily explain you stuff and also teach you new expressions. I went abroad for a few months, and no one is really willing to be helping you there. All they care is if they can understand you, and if they can – then how you talk is pretty much fine with them. But you won't learn much from them, usually, and won't even know if you're speaking correctly or not. 

October 24, 2014
Show more