James Iles
Easier to write Russian?

Why is it easier to write Russian than to speak it?

Thanks. 

Oct 11, 2014 2:16 PM
Comments · 4

Believe me this is not easier even for russian natives, even they do loads of mistakes in writing. there is no easy ways to gain a good writing - its only through hard reading, studying grammar and writing essays and if you have anyone who could correct it ,then you can better understand where is your weak point. 

October 16, 2014

I think it is easier to talk than to write russian. 

but to me in English and difficult to write and speak)))

October 15, 2014

I assume you mean conversation when you say "speak". There can be many reasons; I think it depends on the individual. If you often write, but rarely converse, for example. Or it might not even be true. When I first started writing Russian, I had already been conversing for 2 years, so writing was harder than conversing at that point.

But for people who have been doing both for a long time, I think it's often true because you have time to process your thoughts, use a dictionary, grammar, etc, when you write. You don't have this luxury when you converse, which can lead to more mistakes.

October 11, 2014

I think it's true regardless of language. Maybe in Russian we use a lot of idioms, sleng and complex sentences. And we don't have a fixed order of words in sentences. Meaning of the phrase is highly dependent on the alignment of semantic accents and a speaker's voice.

October 11, 2014