Soumava
Kanji Radicals - Bushu

Hello!

Just wanted to know if the knowledge of Kanji Radicals (Bushu) is absolutely essential for learning Japanese?

I've done some study on my own and figured that all Kanji(s) are made of 1 or more of these "Radicals" (sometimes the Radical is the Kanji itself) and also there is (often) some connection in the implied meaning of the Kanji with the Radicals that it is made up of.

Thanks in Advance ^^

皆さんこんにちは!

ちょっとお聞きしてもいいですか?w

あのね、漢字を良く出来る為に「部首」を勉強しないといけませんか。

最近「部首」のこと色々読みましたんですが漢字は部首で作るでしょう。

部首を分かれば漢字の意味も分かりますか。

ありがとう!

「日本語あんまり出来ないけどこの質問の日本版書いてって頑張ったんだ」

Oct 12, 2014 3:44 PM
Comments · 2

I agree with Niklas. Some people study radicals, some people don't. I personally have never really studied radicals, but you still start to learn trends without putting in a lot of effort. You just have to decide whether learning the radicals will actually help you remember the kanji in the long run or not.

If you've heard of Wanikani, its method is basically to assign "stories" to each radical then use those stories to help you remember the kanji. I use a similar method, I just make up my own stories. Whether those stories have anything to do with the actual meaning of the radical is up to you. Kanji Damage also does the same thing. 

October 13, 2014

I guess that somehow depends on your personal preferance. I often heard that it's even better to learn the radicals before starting with kanji because then you can memorize kanji easily by memorizing of which radicals it is made. By this you can tell similiar looking kanji apart and even somehow make a connections from the radicals meanings to the kanjis meaning (but this depends on your imagination).
e.g. the site <a href="http://www.kanjidamage.com/">http://www.kanjidamage.com/</a>; tries to teach kanji that way (and yeah, the type of language the creator uses is a bit colloquial and cynical but I like it as a reference)

But on the other hand you can also memorize kanji in a difference way (so memorizing each kanji for itself and make your own connections between them) etc.

I personally think that radicals can be a good indicator and helper but for myself I chose to not memorize them beforehand. Now I'm looking a bit at them to make for myself connections but otherwise... well, I do the "just learn each kanji" thing. However, I think radicals can help, especially if you wanna have a general gist of what the kanji want's to tell you (like maybe 池 酒 泳 having all smth to do with water) or how it is read because one radical is carrying the reading (池 地 maybe because their on-yomi is read ち) but it's not always this case.

But what you do, depends on you in the end^^"

October 12, 2014