Mimi
Travelling in Iran

Hello,

I'm curious to hear from Iranians. Would there be any problems with a solo female traveller, provided of course she observed the customs etc?

Thank you for your answers!

Oct 13, 2014 9:58 AM
Comments · 22

@ Zeiad: The question is about Iran NOT Saudia Arabia!!!!! O_o!!

October 13, 2014

@Ivan Saksonov: May I ask you how is money suppose to break cultural & religious barriers?

I'm asking because your comment seems offensive, but maybe you meant something I don't understand, therefore I should ask before I make any judgment. I'm not from Iran, yet it's somehow similar between my country, Iran & other islamic countries. Once I met an American on italk who asked me if it's safe to visit my country & I told him the whole truth; that people here respect those who respect thier culture & religion no matter where they're coming from. If you show respect, expect they will open thier hearts for you & help you in everything you need. But if you get judgmental & make fun of thier culture & belief, then expect that you won't be very popular & you'll be on your own, because they won't hurt you in anyway. No money in the world will make anyone likes you if you're not likable, on the contrary of how people think about poor countries, you CAN'T BUY peoples kindness or respect, you EARN it with your own behaviour. Poor people are very rich in the same time; thier pride make up for the lack of many material things that are considered important, but for us they mean nothing:)

October 17, 2014

Two years ago I lived in Qatar (GCC) for few months, and it's full of foreigners from all over the world, yet the locals wear their traditional & religious outfits that are covering almost all thier bodies. I couldn't believe it once when I saw a foreigner taking off his clothes on a public beach when everyone around him were covered! He looked odd & not respectful to his surrounding, this wasn't a private beach you know & he didn't care for anyone's feelings. What looks normal in your country might offend others in their countries because it's so different than thier culture & background. In another case I was in a big mall & I saw a man walking barefoot;) This was weird & I smiled & said nothing! Until a SouthAfrican noticed that I was amazed by this & told me this is very normal in South Africa and this man looks like someone from there;) I can't say this was offensive, yet it was funny, but I'm only trying to tell you what looks normal for someone, might look weird & unacceptable to another if thier background is different.

I hope everyone understand what I'm trying to say; you only need to take in consideration how people feel. For example; you don't really go & talk with women in Islamic countries as you like, this is not acceptable at all & might get you in serious trouble! What's considered as a compliment to a girl from Europe for example, it might be considered as an insult to An Arabian Muslim girl.

October 17, 2014

My understanding is that hotels will not give rooms to unaccompanied women unless you are part of a tour group. There is a good book called "Honeymoon in Purdah" about a British woman who got around this restriction by travelling with a gay male friend. They had to produce a marriage certificate at each hotel to prove they were married, so they used a computer to make one :)

October 16, 2014

The UK Foreign Office advises against non-essential travel to Iran but foreign offices are generally quite conservative. The UK embassy was attacked and then closed in 2011 so there wouldn't be a British Embassy there to assist you.

October 15, 2014
Show more