Mega Dini
Age Issue For Women

As a girl, I'm curious about age issue for women around the world. I just listened to Italian podcast and they talked about asking her age to women in Italy. They said it is considered as a bad manner and you have to avoid that question. I've once studied Korean and they have same issue. Korean people prefer to mention the year when they were born instead of mention their age, especially for girls. I think it's same for Japanese (CMIIW).

In Indonesia, I think it's not a big deal to mention or know someone's age. Some women maybe feel shy if someone (especially man) asks about her age. I only met 1-2 women in my life who didn't want to mention their age even though we have same gender. For me, I let people know my age because I want to be seen and treated properly like girls at my age (even though my friends say I have a high school girl face and I'm short too -.-). When I'm with my friends who are 2-4 years younger than me, I tell everyone that I'm 22 and I the oldest one. For some reason I'm proud of it.

I want to know about the reasons behind all of this. Are you shy if someone know your age? Are you don't want people think that you're old already? Or is it just about the culture thing?

Oct 17, 2014 5:19 AM
Comments · 19

Two questions never to ask a woman - 1) how old are you? and 2) how much do you weigh? There are actually more, but this is a family forum.

October 17, 2014

There are many factors in society which make women feel insecure about their age. Of course if you're not a woman it can be easy to dismiss these woman as bringing it on themselves and that they should just ignore the messages in society given in the media etc. It can be hard to cut yourself out from that. I don't watch much TV, but in the UK it's quite common to see a young pretty female presenter with an older presenter on TV. A large majority women don't stay in TV after they're 40 or 50. In the UK over 80% of TV presenters over 50 are male. That's just one example. 

October 17, 2014

I think I agree with Barbara; it's about the expectations when women are at certain age.

I don't judge, yet I only want to say, that the reaction I've seen by myself in two cases made me feel this is really ridiculous! Women turned to be with yellow faces and were bothered a great deal and of course they didn't reply to the question even though it was asked to them in a very natural way. And by the way, both were younger than me now; I mean to say I'm considered to be old here, yet I always answer the question because we humans are expected to get older & not younger! 

October 17, 2014

Well, in most cultures telling people you're 22 isn't anything to be ashamed of because that's young, and women have more value when they are young, unlike men. It's complete sexism, which is present in most countries.

I don't have a problem saying my age, although I once had a man react badly to it as he was the same age as me, but he thought I was younger.

October 17, 2014

I don't think it's such a big deal here. Most women won't care and will just tell you, I think you're more likely to get a bad reaction if you're talking to an "older" woman. That said, there's no shortage of women who spend their entire lives looking for things to get offended over, so if you bump into one of those you're snookered.

lol @ sexism btw

October 17, 2014
Show more