Alisha
Question about Korean men and dating

So I know this question is really random but I'd like to hear the different views from different korean guys on dating. Guys from Korea, guys from america but are Korean, doesn't matter. I'd just like to hear the different opinions. 

I know it's silly but it would be ideal for me to eventually marry a korean man because that is the type of 'dream' guy I created in my head. It may or may not happen but do many Korean men typically want to be with a white girl? Any advice or input?

And if a guy from Korea decided he wanted to date me, what do you think would be the differences between him and a regular american? Or even the differences between him and a korean american? 

Oct 18, 2014 1:59 AM
Comments · 5

Thank you guys for your comments :) It helps. I just typed out this huge long thing and something happened and my browser went back a page and it deleted everything i typed :( and I'd type it again..but its like 1 am and im just like ughhhh nooooo 

grrrr

October 21, 2014

I am not a Korean guy at all but I am married to a Korean guy and live in Korea. This is just my view and my own experience.

I have to say it all depends on the type of guy from talking to my husband Koreans are more opened to the idea of dating western girls however he says that there is a difference between dating and marrying. You will find guys who are willing to date foreigners but won't want to marry them but there are guys who have no problem at all with marrying a foreigner.

Another factor is the family. Family is very important in Korea and many children will not go against what their parents want. Many Korean parents are against the idea of their children marrying a foreigner especially if he is the first son. When my husband first told his mother he would marry a foreigner she was against the idea but slowly came around to it and we have a great relationship now. 

As Michelle said learning the culture and language are definitely a bonus and will be an attractive point.

October 21, 2014

pt 2
Differences between dating in korea and the states: I highly recommend watching the show 비정상회담 (Abnormal Summit) to learn about theses. It does a good job of showing the difference in culture and thought process in Korea vs Other Nations.

This one is going to vary from person to person, but here's my pov,
A lot of these things I think you really have to experience rather than just read because it's hard to put in words but here goes:

Culture, language, thought process. These are three overlap a lot.
I think in the west it's more of an egotistic mentality (which I don't say this as a negative way) whereas in Korea is more society/family oriented. So for example when married, it's not unusual for the mother in law to drop by often whereas in the states you'd see them what... every major holiday plus a few?
Another major different I think would be the role of a female. I know in the states currently the "femnist movement" is strong and growing... I don't think it has hit korea yet (which yes I know the president is female, but politics is a whole nother discussion). Women are expected to be the home makers (watch kids, cook, clean) and if you have a job and have a kid... its kind of a given that you'd quit your job to watch the kids (given you had to make that decision. Although working moms are up and rising, men staying home to watch the kids while the women work is still a taboo... ish)
Language wise.... I think the cool thing about Korean is that they have a word for everything. Thus they can better express themselves than one can in English (which is why I can't stress enough learn the language because some things may be lost in translation or mistranslated all together).

I know I'm writing a lot so I'll stop here because there are a lot! but do you have any specific questions, maybe I can tailor my answer to that

October 20, 2014

I apologize as I am not a korean male nor male period, but I am a Korean interracial baby and have lived in korea and dated koreans, and thus I can give you my prospective from that pov. Just fyi, this is a little long.

"Do they typically want to be with a white girl?" I take it that this question means are korean guys willing to date (and/or eventually marry) women that are nonkorean. The simple answer is yes!

Here's the longer answer:
Although there are more immigrants coming into korea (to work, study, etc), it's not like western countries where countries are diverse in race and ethnicity. So by nature... there are not a lot of foreingers in the dating pool to begin with, thus dating a foreinger isn't quite "typical". Also, [some] korean men are intimidated by foreign females because of the language and cultural barrier. Another thing to consider is parents. To be perfectly blunt, some korean guys will be willing to date you but not take it to the next level and marry you. In my opinion Korea still has this concept of a "pure blood line" and parents especially put a lot of pressure on their children to marry koreans rather than foreigners. *Note-- korea is still changing and being more... progressive I guess we can call it, the last two points is more or less true depending on what generation they come from and family upbringing etc.

Now if you serious about marrying a korean guy here are a couple things I would advise: learn the culture and the LANGUAGE (and history). Knowledge is very sexy. A foreinger speaking korean is just... wow. You will have jaws dropping and the guys flocking haha. But more than that, the parents will respect you and feel more comfortable letting go of their sons especially their mothers (mother son bond in korea is a whole nother issue lol). Korea is still very traditional in terms of gender roles (though again this is changing) so be able to cook, be organize, and cut fruit.

October 20, 2014

I think you can like anyone for any reason, and anyone can like you for any reason. :)

That said... I sense that maybe you already understand why some of your questions may be problematic. When we let racial expectations set our dating standards we're being unfair to ourselves and any potential partners we have. :(

There's an opinion essay I like that talks about what it's like to fight racial expectations in dating. It just kind of sucks to not be seen as a person, but as a type created by screenwriters.

http://www.thebolditalic.com/articles/3180-why-yellow-fever-is-different-than-having-a-type-

Answering the spirit of your questions just replace 'Korean guy' with 'caucasian American guy', or 'German guy', or 'Russian guy', and you'll probably end up with same answers. Korean guys are individuals with individual preferences that may or may not like you if they hang out with you enough.

October 18, 2014