Anastasia
What the difference between "brother" and "sibling" ?
Oct 20, 2014 9:58 AM
Comments · 6

Don't be so hard on other people, @simonwyatt1996, we all make typos from time to time. Nobody is perfect, not even you.

Considering she is trying to learn English, it would be appropriate that people check their English before posting.

Ever heard of a dangling participle? Not convinced about the 'appropriate that' either.

People who live in glass houses, and all that. If you're kind to people, they'll be kind to you.

October 20, 2014

And to answer the query put forward by @ Berneddi M.Ed. Engl. (that's a very distinguished user name you have there, mon ami!)   -

It's not the same as the umbrella terms spouse, sibling or parent, but 'cousin' is a tricky one. We have no way of indicating the gender of a cousin in English, other than the rather awkward 'girl cousin' /'male cousin' type of phrase - only ever used to disambiguate. This creates a dilemma for the translator. If you're translating 'cousin' from a language where the equivalent word is gender-specific, how do you put it into natural English? If it's clear in the original that the cousin in question is female, then  'cousin' doesn't say enough, whereas 'female cousin' is unnatural. If I were translating, I'd say 'cousin', then slip in a 'her' or a 'she' somewhere immediately afterwards to make the gender clear. It would be interesting to hear how other people deal with similar grammatical issues around gender.

October 20, 2014

Considering she is trying to learn English, it would be appropriate that people check their English before posting.  There are quite a few silly mistakes in the comments.  However, the explanations are correct.

Sibling = someone who has the same parents as you and is not dependent on gender (female or male) e.g. How many siblings do you have? 

Brother = someone of the same parentage and is male. e.g. Thomas is my brother.  That man is my brother's friend.

October 20, 2014

Sibling can be either gender: brother or sister:

Parent can be either gender: father or mother.

Spouse can be either gender: husband or wife.

Does anyone have more examples?

October 20, 2014

A brother is your male sibling.  The word sibling is used when you don't car about if the person is make or female 

October 20, 2014
Show more