Hady
Do you use the target language in your dreams?

Like if you are learning English, have you ever used English or any language that you are learning in your dreams? What do you think of this? Do you think that the more you master the language the better your chances would be in using the target language in your dreams or do you think that the two things are not connected?

Oct 20, 2014 9:51 PM
Comments · 15

Before I went to sleep I was playing a broadcast in Korean and I was dreaming in Korean and the interesting part about it is that I remembered the words and the pronouncation in my dream when I woke up.

October 20, 2014

I have dreamed in the foreign languages I have studied, and the strange thing is that in my dreams <em>I am able to speak signficantly better than when I'm awake</em>!  I have sometimes wondered why it seems that I speak better while dreaming, and have posited as an explanation that when asleep, only the mind needs to work; and the physical organs -- vocal chords, tongue, lips -- don't get in the way. That, of course, is only my surmise.

October 20, 2014

I had a few dreams and I was speaking Arabic so good that when I woke up I didn't even know what I said! And that got me thinking if somehow in the deepest of my brain I speak the language and maybe the fear of making mistakes when speaking is stopping me .. I don't know what to think o.O

October 22, 2014

This is really interesting! I liked all the comments that you've written. I guess that your interest in the language itself and the amount of hours that you dedicate for it can be factors which may or may not lead you to use your target language in your dreams, depending on how many efforts you are willing to exert. I have studied English and Japanese, but I never had any dreams in which I spoke in Japanese. For me, the situation is different with English because I've studied it for more years and I’ve used it in more situations. It became part of my daily routine; thus, I use English unconsciously in many dreams.

Regarding your point, Neil, I think that this not only happens to people when they are sleeping, but also when they are awake. There are many factors which would affect the performance of each speaker. Like you encounter situations where the linguistic competence that some people have might be good, but, their performance on the other hand is poor. The question is why? Several factors can be taken into consideration. Stress among others can be one of these factors. When people are stressed or afraid, their performance, sometimes, distorts or misrepresents their competence. If they were relaxed as is the case in sleeping, maybe things would be different.

October 21, 2014

I have dreamed in english not very often, or maybe not that I remember. I have a problem I am not sure If I don't remember most of my dreams or If I forgot my dreams. Sometimes when I am on the bus i think in english without even notice it. The dream that I remember I was talking in english very natural like I do in spanish but I don't remember what I was talking about. I felt very confident and happy talking in english. I have a costume: I sleep with my tv turn on and I pick a channel which has the sap function and I sleep while I hear tv programs on english. I try to use english as much as possible even at work, I don't like to see tv shows in spanish, I don't listen to music in spanish. I prefer reading books in english, I study french using materials for english speakers. As a live in Colombia the spanish is so pervasive that I try to invest my spare time in english. 

October 21, 2014
Show more