doris
How can we improve our oral English when we live in a non-English speaking environment?

It might be easy to learn a new word.  But you might forget it in a very short time because we don't have to chance to use it. We might be influent in writing English, but some of us simply can't  have a nice conversation with a native speaker. I mean, when it comes to face to face communication. How can we use a word properly and deliever our thoughts accurately? What are we suppose to do to maintain our English skill when we have to live in a Chinese speaking country?

Oct 21, 2014 2:34 AM
Comments · 4

I like what Beny, that guy from Fluent in 3 months, said. That we don't learn a language, instead we get used to it. And how else do you get used to a language if not by hearing and saying it over and over? We don't memorize vocabulary, we put it to use. Based on my experience, no access to native speakers shouldn't discourage anyone from improving. Especially when learning English, a language that is wisely used. You can always talk to the mirror, or maybe record yourself speaking in your target language. Of course at the beginning you only read from the texts, but once you get used to it, the words will come naturally. Maybe just one or two phrases at first, but before you know they become sentences and so forth. 

October 21, 2014

Italki can be a solution. One thing you can try: when you are having a real conversation, try not to think too much about "accuracy" or "proper usage" during the conversation.

Language is a basic human skill learned gradually by practice (even with mistakes, which are in fact an essential part of your learning), and not by getting the correct answer. Think of what it takes to learn how to ride a bicycle well, or how to swim well.

I hope others will give you many suggestions as to how to find more opportunities to practice your English conversation.

October 21, 2014

Hi Doris,

I have the same problem as you. The way I try to maintain the level is by listening podcasts through internet, videos through YouTube, and by reading through internet. I never had the chance to talk with a native speaker so I spoke to myself. Creating monologues helps a lot, you can create a story or you can create a normal situation like a job interview or going to the supermarket and you play two roles, it’s easy. In my opinion that can help a lot. Believe me, it is very possible to be fluent in a non-native country. You just need to feel total passion for the language you are learning.

I wish you the best on this journey.

October 21, 2014

To convey our thoughts in English as you want in Taiwan is not always acceptable by patriotic Taiwanese people. 

The best language to transmit, is your own national language to everyone in Taiwan, is called Mandarin unless you find a foreigner to practice or work a company for International trade, English teacher, and something connected with International opportunity, including tour guid or stewardess. 

In order to advance your lanugage skills unforgettable is something around your life necessary and reduce judgement or criticising your choice from other unpleasant people. 

October 21, 2014