Antonio
When could it be considered that someone is totally fluent in a foreign language?

Some people say that a high level in a language is only achieved once you can talk/understand no matter what kind of conversation. There are others who believe it happens when you can express yourself using idioms, irony or double meaning expressions. What do you think about it?

Oct 23, 2014 9:18 AM
Comments · 8

I should follow up on Peachey's note and find out what "fluent" means to language professionals, but I'll just speak for myself. 

To me, "fluency" means that I simply think a <em>thought</em> and speak the <em>thought </em>without paying attention to the <em>words</em>.

It is the linguistic equivalent of walking. I don't think "should I use my right foot first, how is my balance, am I turning too far to the left?" I just think "I need to grab that cup over there" and walk to the cup without having a single thought other than "walk."

I'm trying to learn Spanish. When I am speaking Spanish, I experience short bursts of this kind of fluency. I will think a thought, then say some words in Spanish, and <em>do not actually know what words I've said until after I've said them. </em>

Alas, this only happens in short bursts. I hope they will get longer and longer until they merge with each other. Then I will feel that I am "fluent."

October 27, 2014

I think that there are so many different definitions of "fluency" that it's pointless to create a new one. In fact, I wish people wouldn't even use the word. If you use it, nobody but you will know what level you are talking about. Instead, I recommend using the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). You'll find lengthy definitions for all levels (A1 thru C2) in the wikipedia. Of course, even these are somewhat vague and people argue about them, but they are far clearer than just talking about "fluency".

October 28, 2014

There was a fairly lengthy discussion a couple of months ago here:

http://www.italki.com/discussion/78496

See what you can take away from that. From the perspective of language testing, you'll find there are specific criteria for gauging a speaker's fluency. It's worth looking them up...

October 23, 2014

Hola, Antonio.  Como se mencionó anteriormente, hay exámenes estandarizados que determinan si alguien tiene fluidez para hablar o escribir otra lengua.

October 28, 2014

Dan Smith gave a realy wonderful explanatnion for fluency by using interesting metaphors. Fluency and accuracy should be obtained at the same time if we want to be realy advanced in a non native language.

I think fluency means speaking the language and the thought in our mind happend simultaneously, while  accuracy needs the meaning of the langugae we are saying should be logical and makes sense. 

October 28, 2014
Show more