Mega Dini
Correction for non-native speakers

What do you think if a non-native speaker correct someone's writing?

Let's say you're an English learner and your level is not that high (intermediate/upper intermediate). You correct someone's writing and you think your correction is great. Then when a native speaker correct the writing, you start comparing his correction and yours. You realize sometimes you miss one or two simple mistakes or even typo. And yes, the native correction is so much better than yours because you're an English learner.

When I read someone's notebook, I question myself whether I should correct this entry or not because I don't want to give wrong correction. I usually choose which entries I should correct and which I shouldn't.

Oct 23, 2014 1:10 PM
Comments · 8

I think it would be a mistake to assume that a correction by a native speaker would necessarily be the best correction. I am a native speaker of English, but I am no professional when it comes to grammar and writing well. It is entirely possible that a non-native English speaker would have a much better correction to offer than I would. After all, language learners are often much more aware of the vagaries of a language's grammar than are the native speakers who have taken it for granted (such as myself).

We are all improving. That should be a given. I have learned quite a bit about my own language through learning another.

October 23, 2014

(Upper) Intermediate level is fairly OK, so don't be too hard on yourself.  If you're doubtful about your correction, you can just write an extra note saying that you've only corrected the mistakes that are obvious to you.

It's not common, but I've made corrections in my other languages simply because no natives were doing so.

The only time a non-native correction bothers me is when the person is clearly at a low level (think pre-intermediate... or less!) and not only ignores many errors, but adds more!  Thankfully, this is pretty rare.

One student told me about polyglotclub.com, where you don't need to correct an entire text, but just the parts where you see an error. See what you think.

October 23, 2014

Hello,my native language is Spanish,and I´ve seen some corrections in Spanish,by natives,that are incorrect. 

October 23, 2014

Well usually the non-natives don't lose time doing corrections in another languages, just if they are advance at least in my case and the fixes I've seen, but that can change language to language. Usually the correction in Portuguese notebook are made by natives and when I write something just natives or advance level corrected me, but like I said that can change language to language.

October 23, 2014

I agree with Peachey.

October 23, 2014
Show more