chappyrick0705
A Japanese Buddhist priest

Hi! My name is Hiro. I'm a Japanese Buddhist priest living in Kanagawa, Japan. I'd like to make friends with people from English speaking countries. 

I'm interested in philosophy, of course. But I'd like to hear people's opinions on a specific subject, such as "what is the right thing to do in this situation?". I also like to learn more about psychology, more specifically, the kind of useful things that I might be able to utilize in convincing/persuading people. However, I'm basically interested in any topics. 

Anyway, the point of my discussion is not this. My question is: what are your personal experiences in Japan or the cultural differences between Japan and your country that ever happened to you and that astonished you in a great way?

Oct 24, 2014 11:07 AM
Comments · 15

Hi!
I never went to Japan. I would be happy to go someday but I'm so afraid about those stuff about Fukushima... I love Japan culture, and buddhism in general (Zen, Hindu, Tibet...)

October 28, 2014

Hello, Hiro.  I honestly haven't known many Japanese people.  Although, I had a Japanese Sensei in Karate whom I greatly admired.  He was very agile. 

Most Americans are accustomed to drinking alcoholic beverages at or below room temperature, but I like warm sake. :)   A moderate amount of sake and zen music helps me relax.  :) 

October 25, 2014

Hi,

I haven't been to Japan neither (but I'm willing to go one day). The Japan people I met are very singular and quite different from european people.

I Love the classical japanese culture; by the way, most of the haiku authors I like are also budhist priests. For example Ryokan.

I would like to know how, in Japan, buddhism is articulated with Shintoisme.
What do you think about the Shinto religion ? 

October 28, 2014

Hi Hiro,
I went to Japan some years ago. I have to say that it really impressed me. First of all, the people were very kind and I felt hospitality everywhere. My first stop was Tokyo, an impressive city. The impression I had is that all things worked in Tokyo. Trains, taxies, buses. I found respectful citizens that helped me when I needed. I loved the scenery around the city and the skyscrapers from the inside. Even in the most crowded places of the city I noticed order and honesty. The streets seemed very clean in Japan.
Another feature I like the most is the ancient culture that can be seen particularly in Kyoto and other old cities.Moreover, I had the opportunity to visit the Ise shrine and other Buddhist temples during the journey. I have to say, that I discovered some traditions, beliefs and teachings I hadn’t Known.
I get to know the people I travelled with, and I had the opportunity to talk to the tour guides, which guided us around several cities. Therefore I had time to talk to them and the first impression I had was that they were very kind, respectful and reserved.
In conclusion, the trip to Japan was fantastic, I had a lot of fun and I discovered a culture I didn’t know anything before. Japan is definitely worth visiting.

October 27, 2014

Yes, it's the story of the faithful Akita dog. Sometimes it's good to be emotional in that sense isn't it?:) It helps me appriciate the things around me and also broaden my horizons so to speak:)

October 25, 2014
Show more