J. leon
I find that it makes it easier to learn a language, when you begin by learning music lyrics. anybody agree?

I realize that learning music that caught my ear helped me first with my Englsh, now with my German. It helps alot with pronunciation, even if the meanings come to you later. 

Oct 24, 2014 9:51 PM
Comments · 4

I disagree with you J. because often songs don't have any sense in common speaking. I think listening to music is a tool (not a great tool) for beginners but there's a point where you can't go beyond listening to music. 

Regarding pronunciation I agree with you instead because if you sing a song you learn how to pronounce words :)

October 25, 2014

I definitely understand how it can have an affect because of the slang. It is a great tool for pronouncing a new accent. Rap songs in German have helps me read it alot better. 

October 25, 2014

yes it helps. I have spent hours listening to music in spanish, while reading the lyrics. I think its a great way to tune your ear to the language. Its hard to find immersion, so every little thing helps. If you can find a radio station in the language you are studying, that helps too.

October 25, 2014

Yes, no. :)

One thing about pop music is that it will happily flout grammar rules just to seem "cool" to the younger demographic. (<em>Hey listen, kids! We're rebels!! Aren't we cool?? Buy our stuff.</em>)  I hear learners copy the slangy phrases in these songs, thinking that their English is "good", when in fact it sounds doubly sloppy.

Of course, pop music isn't the be-all and end-all of music; if anything, pop is the junk food of music. There are plenty of other songs that follow good phrasing, intonation, and even grammar. So if your musical "diet" is varied, then of course you will improve quickly. Balance a bit of <em>Anaconda</em> with <em>I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General</em> and you'll be laughing.

This also helps, Alot with pronunciation... ;)

<em>http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html</em>;

October 25, 2014