Hady
Do you think that language affects thought?

Do you think that language and thought are connected? Would languages affect our thoughts or would it our thoughts that affect our languages?

Would you be able to represent certain thoughts and concepts in one language freely but face restrictions from the community if you want to express the same thoughts in another language? Would your language reflect the way you think? If yes, would thoughts be different based on the differences between languages?

It's an interesting issue and there are different hypotheses related to this, but I would love to read your opinions. 

Oct 25, 2014 12:29 AM
Comments · 4

Of course language effects you thinking a lot. Simply because you think in the language you know.

That may explain why certain native speaker groups can do think better or worse then others.

Wiki has something about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_and_thought#Examples

October 25, 2014

Language and thought are definitely connected . Once you can speak another language beside of your mother tongue you will be able to communicate with other cultures , then you will gain more knowledge.
My language will affect my thoughts as you know that our language is deeply connected with our culture and believes . Islam is connected with Arabic , and so on .

October 25, 2014

I think that language do affect our thoughts, but only when u r familiar with that language. For me,it's subconscious, and i can feel it. 

October 25, 2014

Language gives us humans the ability to communicate with one another, so that we can teach knowledge to others and we can learn knowledge from others. 

Early humans could neither speak nor write, they communicated with each other by using body language and making ape-like grunting noises.  Then, some favorable genetic mutations occured in humans about 100,000 years ago in Africa that gave these humans the ability to speak.  Speech allowed them to better communicate with each other, and they were better able to teach each other how to make better tools for hunting and making fires.  These newly acquired skills enabled humans to migrate out of Africa and spread throughout the world.  As groups of people migrated throughout the world and they became more isolated from one another, each population's language evolved differently from the original common language of humans, which existed 100,000 years ago.  Different accents exist within each language because of the educational and social class differences between individuals within a society.

October 25, 2014