Arianne
Why We Learn

Feel free to answer one or any of the questions below.  You could even use this as a topic for a notebook entry. If you want, I can offer some corrections and grammar advice for your responses.

Why are you learning a language? Should languages be taught in schools? Should English be mandatory (required) for all students, or should students be able to choose which languages they learn? Should the world have one (official) international language? If so, what should it be - English, Esperanto, or another language?

Oct 25, 2014 8:30 AM
Comments · 11

Elena:

As far as I am concerned, I really enjoy learning English, watching English films, reading bbc news and so forth. Fluent english is a must to have great career opportunities in Russia. (Fluent English is a must/ a requirement/a prerequisite for a good career in Russia/If you want to have great career opportunities, you must be fluent in English)

I think that languages should indeed be taught in schools. In Russia we learn English or sometimes German in school, but in university we can choose mainly from English, German and French. In Russia we have the same situation as in Spain (that was mentioned by Andrea/that Andrea mentioned), that the level of lessons is very low. If you need to succeed in speaking fluently (if you want to speak fluently/achieve fluency), you have to work hard and to do additional study in an English club.

I think that English should be mandatory for all students, because nowadays english is the language of busines all over the world. Here is my answer to the last question - English has already become the global and international language.

<em>Overall, great job!  Your response was veryunderstandable.  The problems were just in word order or the way you phrased things. A few pointers: remember to use CAPS for proper nouns (English, French...)</em>

October 27, 2014

Hello, 

I strongly believe that learning second languages makes children broad-minded and help them to improve their communication skills. Unfortunately, by growing, learning ability become weak. So it seems that it is necessary to teach second languages at schools. 

October 26, 2014

Hello Arianne!

As far as for me is concerned I really enjoy learning english, watching english films, reading bbc news and so forth. Fluent english is a must to have great career opportunities in Russia.

I think that indeed languages should be taught in schools. In Russia we learn english and rarely germany in schools, but for example in universities we can choose mainly from english, germany and french. In Russia we have the same situation as in Spain (that was mentioned by Andrea), that the level of lessons is very low. If you need to succeed in talking fluently, you have to work hard and to study idditionally in an english club.

I think that English should be mandatory for all students, because nowadays english is the language of bussiness all over the World. Here is my answer on the last quation - English has already become global and international language.

October 26, 2014

Hello Arianne!

Particularly, I'm learning languages because I love learning (I'm a curious person), and I'd love to travel all around the world in the future. 

About languages being taught at school, here in Spain we can learn English and French. However, the level of the lessons is really low, and if you want to have a good lever, you need to study on your own, in some sort of academy or something. 

Besides, in Spain, we also are compelled to learn English at school. You cannot choose between English and French. You have to study English, and, if you want, you can take French lessons too. 

Regarding the idea of having one international language, I don't like it. I love the diversity of having so many languages, and the accents, and so on. That's why I think we could be loosing something beautiful if we all speak the same language.

October 25, 2014

I believe to unify an official language for the world is just for convenient communication exchange when not all people are interested in learning languages suffs but others more, but with some choices to study second language can be for brain training to avoid demential of course, good for health. 

However, learning English for Taiwanese is probably for international trade and other Asian languages of course more important as well but Japanese culture is patriotic in their own manners and Korean do loves their own language too, hence why don't we just learn English for all if computer programme only writen by English, neither French or others as Latin? If we are not so eager to be a language teacher for Globe economy boosting and should be respected by our choices in various careers we may choose on our limited ability. 

November 3, 2014
Show more