Berneddi M.Ed. Engl.
Any examples, from your personal experience, of how culture has impacted on your language learning?

Do you have any examples, from personal experience, of how culture has affected (or maybe just inspired) or put a certain light on, something you were learning in a language?

I just wanted to hear real stories of the impact of culture - BOTH from the target language, as well as that of the learner - on language learning (so it could be either of two cultures, or the interaction of the two cultures).

If I've confused you, please ask a question.

Oct 25, 2014 11:46 AM
Comments · 5

Sophie:

Although many students may learn a language which are totally foreign to them, and their only link to that language is a link of interest; you are right that other students, like you, may learn a language towards exploring cultures that are related to them.

I wonder if there are other members on this Discussion Board who have been motivated by culture in the same way?

October 25, 2014

I hope not to be off topic but India was colonized by English and French thus it's true these two languages had a large impact on my culture , a mixed culture. It's obvious that I'm attracted by learning and improving my English because of the historical past of India and also my parents life.

October 25, 2014

Andreia:

For example, "cultural dissonance" (some kind of conflict between the learner's culture and the culture from the target language) could have a fundamental impact on how that language is learned by the student. Do you understand now the types of cultural influences I'm talking about?

Ruthi:

Yes, I agree. When I learned French in school as a child, just about all of us really had no reason for our lives to have any affiliation with French culture. Therefore, the motivation was just not there. The whole concept of learning French seemed so mechanical and remote. Now that my horizons have widened, I have more reasons to consider and appreciate French culture.

October 25, 2014

I think that when a student really wants to immerse in the culture it makes it easier for him/her to learn the language.For example I have met students who really love watching Telenovella movies on TV so they learned Spanish with little effort,whereas they didn't like English class at school and were weak in their English studies as a result.

October 25, 2014

I'm confused.

In Brazil we can count on cultural products (music and movies) from other countries to learn their languages.

October 25, 2014