[Deleted]
Anyone else having a hard time narrowing down what languages to learn?

This is probably the hardest part of the process for me.  I want to learn Icelandic because Iceland is awesome, Finnish because of the country and beauty of the language, Estonian because of the kind people that really want me to learn it, Faroese due to the sheer beauty of the country and language, and Mongolian to visit Mongolia properly...

That isn't counting Swedish which I will eventually learn grudgingly and the few languages I've ruled out such as Kalaallisut and Persian. How the heck can people narrow down which languages to learn >.<

Oct 25, 2014 3:18 PM
Comments · 9

Maybe first you should consider which one is the most useful and valuable for you. Learning some many languages at the same time could be difficult, because most people need to focus one at the begaining of the language learning. 

October 27, 2014

Start to learn a one you like the most very diligently, and treat the rest as an entertainment - I'd say on the level in which you will be able to communicate with the use of basic phrases. I'm sure that in time you will find your best way to tackle all three at the same time. Good luck!

October 27, 2014

I guess you are a prodigy in language learning. To say the least, you are much more courageous than most the people.

October 27, 2014

Since you have a few to choose from, then just begin with whichever one you have the best opportunity to start with. If it doesn't work out, go back to Step 1 and try the next one. As they say: "rinse and repeat"... until you've achieved quite a bit with one of them. Any language is just as deserving as the other. You may need to sharpen the focus of the purposes you hold for wanting to learn a foreign language.

I vote for Estonian, because most people don't even know that there is a country called Estonia, and the name sounds unlikely to be one given to a country. (I've been there... gentle, inquisitive people, and I like the nation; but I can't remember much about the landscapes... incredible black bread, the best rye bread I've had). My other vote goes to Kalaallisut because I never knew such a thing existed, let alone that it was a language.

October 25, 2014

Oh, I truly understand you. It also happens to me. It´s not easy to figure out what language to learn. I started learning chinese because it was the language that most attracted me of the ones I had in mind. In my opinion you should take your time and think what language you would like to learn. On the other hand you could start trying languages and see what you like most. That´s what i want to do now. Actually I do both things: Think and try. Now I wanna add another language to chinese and I´m between 4 ones. I´ll have to decide!

October 25, 2014
Show more