lolalopezchica
Tourist misunderstandings

When someone is a tourist and is living for some days inside another culture can do or say things that are bad-mannered, rude, strange, absurd, etc, without knowing it. Could you tell me some examples? What thing musn't a tourist do in your country?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2014 7:27 PM
Comments · 5

Interesting topic:) you can read this entry to know about tourists in my country, I wrote it last week...

http://www.italki.com/entry/482955

October 25, 2014

Well in Bologna nobody eats "spaghetti bolognese" - tourists do!

this is not rude but weird. Do not ask me why but in Bologna we do eat Bolognese sauce with Maccheroni, fusilli, tagliatelle, lasagne and many more but spaghetti usually come with oil&garlic sauce or carbonara way (eggs and bacon) or matriciana (bacon and tomato sauce).

Also never ask for "caffè" or "espresso" , it is not so simple! the bar-tender will ask you more details: macchiato caldo? macchiato freddo? tazza grande? ristretto? corretto? sospeso? and so on...

Have fun visiting Italy!! 

October 25, 2014

One more thing... the "shout" system is important to us.  If you're having drinks with friends, it's normal for each person to "shout" (buy) a round of drinks for the others.  People who avoid their turn at buying, or who expect free drinks because they're in the group, don't get invited out a second time! ;)

October 26, 2014

In spite of Australia being a warm, relaxed country full of friendly people, I think we're a little more concerned about "following the rules" than normal.  Even minor transgressions or bending a rule will earn you some mistrust from locals.

In many eating places (restaurants, bistros, cafes), it's typical to either have the waiter direct you to a table, or order at the counter. Sitting yourself and expecting the waiter to come over is possible but not the norm - you could get some cold treatment or glares from the wait staff. The best thing is to catch the waiter's eye and he/she will give you a cue. Paying is usually done at the counter. If you're ever in doubt, just ask. We're happy to help, even if it seems trivial.

A show of "status" (eg. money, connections, fame, fashion) impresses no-one here. Just show the same friendly politeness to everyone you encounter, from cleaner to CEO, and you'll have earned our respect.

October 26, 2014

How interesting, Oriella! 

In Malaga, Spain,  you'll have the same problem with coffe. They have lots of ways to call the coffe depending on the proportion of milk it has. In Spanish: café sólo, con hielo, café con leche, nube, mitad, cortado, sombra...

October 25, 2014