Jovana Cenejac
Learning Article : Talking About The Weather: Weather-Related Sayings In English

Discuss the Article : Talking About The Weather: Weather-Related Sayings In English

<a href='/article/292/talking-about-the-weather-weather-related-sayings-in-english' target='_blank'>Talking About The Weather: Weather-Related Sayings In English</a>

The best way to start conversation with a Brit is by talking about the weather. Learn how to use these common English sayings and what they mean.

Oct 28, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 51

May I just point something out about 'Indian summer'? It is not  ' the time of the year when it is unusually hot and dry.' 'Indian summer' is the term we use for an extended summer-like period in autumn.

November 6, 2014

Nice article.  Just a couple of suggestions: The Cats and Dogs one, while correct and also quite famous, is a bit dated,  to be honest.  And for stair rods, yes, but you'd use it like 'it's coming down in stair rods out there' - for very very heavy rain.

One that doesnt apppear in most guides is, when extremely cold, 'it's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey', origin unknown but may have to do with storage of cannonballs in old sailing ships - it sounds slightly rude nowadays, don't use it in a business meeting :-)

November 8, 2014

Yes, there are some nice expressions there.

This topic comes up regularly on italki, but in fact native speakers DON'T go round saying 'It's raining cats and dogs' the whole time. Whenever anyone says 'Give me some funny English idioms', people - native speakers included - invariably quote this one. Yes, it exists, but mainly in lists of idioms and amusing things to tell foreign learners about what a strange language English is! As John says, it's famous and it's amusing, but it isn't used.

It's pouring down, or - more vulgarly - 'it's p**sing down' is what people in Britain would actually say.

November 26, 2014

Thanks Jovana. i liked your article so much.. it gives sense to some expressions i used to hear.

November 5, 2014

Whether the weather be fine,

Or whether the weather be not,

Whether the weather be cold,

Or whether the weather be hot

We'll weather the weather

Whatever the weather,

Whether we like it or not!

June 15, 2015
Show more