RAMON
What do you think about the bullfights?

One of the most popular traditions in Spain are the bullfights. In the last years the discussions between supporters and enemies have started to be more and more agressive. But, how do the people of other countries see this bloody party?

Oct 31, 2014 12:06 PM
Comments · 16

I see that as one of the most stupid kind of entertainment. Same for rodeos, circus (with animals) and other practices that involve animal suffering. For me it's not a matter of culture, but ignorance.

October 31, 2014

I agree with you, Alexander. I think that culture should never include the suffering of animals. Tradition and business are two elements that are joined in the bullfights. Even, there are parts of Spain where the authorities promote and protect the party.

October 31, 2014

Let me put it this way.  People in Spain are a little slow on the uptake.

November 4, 2014

It is a clear violation of animal rights.

Regards

November 4, 2014

I try not to be too judgemental. I just ate beef for supper.

One thing that is notable is that scientists who study animal behavior seem to be leaning more and more in the direction of using the word "conscious" to describe animals, or, at any rate, mammals. Donald Griffin, a distinguished scientists at the Harvard Museum of Comparative Zoology, wrote a book in 2001 entitled "Animal Minds: Beyond Cognition to Consciousness." There is good evidence from electrophysiology that rats have dreams.

If bulls appear to be experiencing pain, they probably are experiencing pain. If bulls appear to be experiencing fear, they probably are experiencing fear. 

November 4, 2014
Show more