Adil
why has '' over '' been used in this sentence? Can you please explain?

A split has emerged within Burkina Faso's armed forces over who is leading the country following the resignation of President Blaise Campaore after 27 years in power.

İs using ''over'' the similar to using '' to '' in this sentence?  ''He is the person to whom I talk'' ...

I mean, Could we set up a sentence like Burkina's armed forces is leading the country over..

or is there another else meaning?

I didn't understand exactly..

Nov 1, 2014 8:41 AM
Comments · 5

"Could we set up a sentence like 'Burkina's armed forces is leading the country over..'"

I think you misunderstand the function of "over" in the original sentence.

Ben is correct. However, here is further explanation of the background of how "over" is used in the original example, to broaden your understanding of the many uses of "over".

"Over" can be used as a preposition (as it is in the original example - you can check at oxforddictionaries.com) that is often associated with the following similar verbs (and their nouns) such as: argue, quarrel, disagree, debate, feud, battle, fight, struggle etc.

EXAMPLES:

They argued over who would lead the country.

The argument was over who would lead the country.

They fought over the rights to the gold mine.

They had a fight over over the rights to the gold mine.

So I said that you misunderstand the function of "over" in the original sentence, because in the original example, "over" is used because of "split", not because of, or associated with, "leading". I hope you now understand more about this way that "over" is used.

November 1, 2014

It means: concerning or regarding

November 1, 2014

They had a fight over the rights to the gold mine.

November 1, 2014

Thanks Berneddi for detailed information and taking the time..It was helpful for me..

November 1, 2014

thanks Ben..I got it..

November 1, 2014