Marsha Serena
Tell me what you guys thought about virginity? In Asian culture, a woman should protect their virginity until she got married. If she gets caught by her family that she is pregnant and hasn't married, she will be excommunicated by her whole world which it isn't good for her or the baby. This culture had been known from a very long time. However, my folks had never told me and my sister formally about the history of it. Thus, I think that this culture had not been communicated perfectly since there was less communication between parents and children. But, it doesn't mean that I'm not virgin. I still keep my virginity until this day. It is weird? Because I had known lots of girls in my country had lost there virginity and people seem to except that. Well, I personally also think the same thought. How about you guys? Do you think the same thought as me or your thought completely opposites?
Not only in Asian culture, a woman should protect their virginity - I guess Christianity also encourages people to abstain from sex until they get married but a lot of christian people does not remember that any more.
By the way, although I'm a man, seeing from people around me, most men who can't or don't wait till their marriage are searching for just pleasure, something satisfying their desire.
My opinion is that it's okay to have physical relationship if there's love between two before marriage. But there has to be also an attitude to accept and respect a person's values and view if she doesn't want to have sexual relationship before marriage.
First, you english is fantastic! Secondly, although I don't belong to any asian culture, I do have plenty of experience with people in my culture (Americans, particularly those who happen to have very strong religious convictions). My myself am not religious, and although I don't intend to pass judgement on anyone, I certainly don't agree with judging or shunning someone for a choice that they are within their rights to make for themselves. I don't think it's any of my business if anyone chooses to have sex or abstain from sex, and similarly I wouldn't want anyone other than the person I am choosing to either sex with or not have sex to be involved in that aspect of my life. From a practical standpoint, I think it's important to encourage people who DO have sex to be safe by using protection and any other precautions that might be necessary, but I am a strong believer in defining societal morality by what is good for the most people and bad for the fewest people, and I have yet to see a convincing argument that enforcing abstinence and shunning those who have sex harms fewer people than encouraging safety if people do decide to have sex. All of the evidence I've seen points to the latter being better for society. For example, my home State, Massachusetts, has the lowest teen pregnancy rate in the country, because our sexual education encompasses learning about safe sex, while Missouri, a state that teaches "abstinence only" has the worst teen pregnancy rate.
In America, most in the culture do not think that one's virginity needs to be protected as long as it is consensual (both people agree to it). People generally do not see the value in waiting to have sex for marriage. I do not agree with this though. I believe Asian culture is right to hope that both men and women should wait for marriage. When two people have sex, one gives their whole body and their whole self to the other person. It is so beautiful. Waiting until marriage means that I promise to not give my body or my heart to anyone else. Even if just engaged, the two people have not yet made a promise to one another and can break off their engagement. Only in marriage does the couple say to each other "I love you with my whole heart and my whole soul and will never leave you." I think marriage is the most perfect symbol of love we have in the world.