Stanislav
If you create new holiday what person or event would it honor? There are a lot of different celebrations in the world, but in my opinion we have to celebrate one more, at least in Russia. If I could create new holiday I would create the day of Leo Tolstoy, because the meaning of his impact on Russian culture is huge, without doubt. First of all, Leo Tolstoy is the greatest writer in Russian history. For example, Vladimir Nabokov, which was not only the prominent writer but also excellent lecturer by Russian literature, compared Chekhov, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy like a candle, a lamp and a sun light respectively. The characters in his novel are very realistic and even alive. Many of these positive characters are good examples for young generation. Therefore, a great naumber of people since middle of nineteenth century up to nowadays want to live life like a Pier Bezuhov or Natasha Rostova from the novel War and Peace, for instance. Secondly, Leo Tolstoy was a great public figure. He wrote a plenty of articles and investigations about social problems that exist in Russia during the latter half of nineteenth century and early twentieth century. His authority was so big that the Russian Czar was afraid of it and was asking him about his opinion for many questions of political and cultural life. Finally, Leo Tolstoy was sort of religious figure. There was a society of his followers that called Tolstovtcy. It counted thousands people who wanted to live the same way such as Tolstoy. They refused from money, they tried to work just for making their life and did it very respectful for God. I want to emphasize that Leo Tolstoy was excommunicated from official church, but in my opinion he was the truth Christian, actually. In conclusion, based on the argument explored above, I would like to say that Leo Tolstoy deserves to be honor and deserves that it would be the new celebration day in Russia calendar because Russian culture after birth of Leo Tolstoy never will be the same, thanks to him.

If you were to create a new holiday what person or event would it honor?

There are a lot of different celebrations in the world, but and  in my opinion, we have to celebrate one more we can add one more to the list, at least in Russia. If I could create a new holiday I would create the day of a day to commemorate Leo Tolstoy, because the meaning of  degree of his impact on the Russian culture is, without a doubt, huge, without doubt.
First of all, Leo Tolstoy is the greatest writer in Russian history. For example, Vladimir Nabokov, which was not only the a prominent writer but also excellent lecturer by of Russian literature, compared Chekhov, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy like a candle, a lamp and a sun light respectively. The characters in his novel are very realistic and even alive. Many of these positive characters are good examples for the young generation. Therefore, a great naumber of people since the middle of the nineteenth century, a great number of people up to nowadays want to live life like a Pier Bezuhov or Natasha Rostova from the novel War and Peace, for instance.
Secondly, Leo Tolstoy was a great public figure. He wrote a plenty of articles and conducted numerous investigations about concerning social problems that existed in Russia during the latter half of the nineteenth century and early twentieth century. His authority was so big such that even the Russian Czar was afraid of it him and was asking him about his opinion for many questions of political and cultural life.
Finally, Leo Tolstoy was sort of a prominent religious figure. Back in the days, There was existed a society of his followers that called Tolstovtcy. It counted There were thousands of people who wanted to live the same way such as Tolstoy. They refused from money, they tried to work just for making their life and did it very respectful for God. (1) on a separate note, I also want to emphasize that Leo Tolstoy was excommunicated from official church, but in my opinion he was the truth Christian, actually. (2)
In conclusion, based on the above arguments explored above, I would like to say that Leo Tolstoy deserves to be honored and that a public holiday should be added to the official Russian calendar to commemorate him, deserves that it would be the new celebration day in Russia calendar because thanks to him, Russian culture after birth of Leo Tolstoy never will never be the same, thanks to him.

1. I don't quite understand what you mean by this. 

2. I don't quite understand what you mean by excommunicated from official church and also what you meant by the truth Christian. Do you mean that he was banished from church but yet he is a true believer in God?

I hope this helps Stanislav!