Ana_hache
Am I correct in making these assumptions? 谢谢!!!! :) 1) 我去中国。= I have been to China 2) Red 红 is made up of the radicals meaning "silk" and "work" because the colour red is associated to communists and workers, so it somehow has to do with the industry of fabrics in China???? 3)你来吧。= How about if you come? / Why don't you come? 4) Flower 花 is made up of the radicals meaning "grass", "person" and "spoon" because a person with a spoon digs the grass to take the flower????? 5) 我帮你吧。= let me help you/ shall I help you? / allow me to help you. 6) 你看这个书吧。= You should read this book / why don't you read this book?/ how about if you read this book. 7) 我们学汉语吧。 = we should learn Chinese / how about if we learn Chinese? 8) Rainbow 虹 is made up of the radicals "bug" and "work" because it looks like the path left by bugs of different colours??? 9) The character 但 means "but" and is formed by the radicals "person" and "sunrise" because .... I really have NOOO clue about this! Please help me out with this!!! 谢谢!!!! :)
Wow! You are welcome! I hope they would help you in your studies! And that you'll find answers for you other questions.
Thank you sooooooooooooo soooooo much Fairyfairytale! :D I've been looking for sites like these and could't find anything!! :D Thank youuuu!! :D
If you are particularly interested in some characters you can look up their etymology, of course. (Fast googling resulted in http://www.chineseetymology.org/ (no pasting, only typing in) and http://chinese-characters.org/ (pasting works)) Also you can always make up mnemonics like 準 'ten wet hens' or 暇 'a man takes a cup of coffee from a table' to memorise them more effectively. ))
I can't help you about grammar as I know nothing. But I know a bit about characters. Elements of a charater do not always connect to its meaning, because: 1. A lot of characters consist of semantic part and phonetic part, e.g. 花 = grass 艹艸 and phonetic 化.(A grass-thing which is pronounced like this - 化). 2. All characters (and elements) have long and complicated history of changing meanings, simplification, rotation and God knows what else.