spring
Tibet and the 14th Dalai Lama (1) In most westerners’ vivid imagination, the ancient Tibet controlled by the Dalai Lamas was a utopia. People who lived there were thought to be religious, kind, and innocent. The truth is, before the Chinese Communist Party took power of Tibet, Tibet was always a miserable world. The political system of ancient Tibet was an integration of religion and politics. The Dalai Lama was the leader of the Tibetan government and Tibetan Buddhism. In ancient Tibet, all lands belonged to the temples, the noblemen and the government, which were called the three masters. The three masters constituted 5% of the Tibetan population. Most Tibetans did not own any land. They were serfs who belonged to the three masters. They had no basic human rights, couldn't have a decent meal, and lived in a miserable life. Besides serfs and the three masters, there was another kind of people called Lansen (朗生), which means “domestic” in Tibetan. Lansens were hereditary slaves, who weren't even considered as human beings but as some kind of domestic animals which could speak. Lansen belonged to the noblemen. They did everything for their master, without any payment and or any rights.Serfs and lansens constituted 95% of the Tibetan population. Tibet once was once an independent country until the Mongols brought it to the Yuan Dynasty. Tibet then became an autonomous region of the Chinese Empire. It claimed its independence during the Chinese Civil War, but none of the existing governments recognized it. When the Communist Party took power of China, the 14th Dalai Lama fled abroad. But after a long exile, he came back to China and signed an agreement with the central government in 1951. According to this agreement, Tibet would belong to China, and the 14th Dalai Lama still had the power, position and the wealth that he had previously. And although China was a republic country at that time, Tibet as an autonomous region could still have its own system--an integration of religion and politics. All things remained the same, including the three masters, serfs and lansens.
1

Tibet and the 14th Dalai Lama (1)

In most many westerners’ vivid imagination, the ancient Tibet controlled by the Dalai Lamas was a utopia. People who lived there were thought to be religious, kind, and innocent. The truth is, before the Chinese Communist Party took back power of over Tibet, Tibet was always a miserable world. <em>(mmm you forget that Tibet was part of China from the Yuan dynasty till the end of the Wing dynasty in 1910+)</em>

The political system of ancient Tibet was an integration of religion and politics. The Dalai Lama was the leader of the Tibetan government and Tibetan Buddhism. In ancient Tibet, all lands belonged to the temples, the noblemen and the government, which were called the three masters. The three masters constituted 5% of the Tibetan population. Most Tibetans did not own any land. They were serfs who belonged to the three masters. They had no basic human rights, couldn't have a decent meal, and lived in a miserable life.

Besides serfs and the three masters, there was another kind of people called Lansen (朗生), which means “domestic” in Tibetan. Lansens were hereditary slaves, who weren't even considered as human beings but as some kind of domestic animals which could speak. Lansen belonged to the noblemen. They did everything for their master, without any payment and or any rights. Serfs and lansens constituted 95% of the Tibetan population.  (<em>don't forget China had slaves and serfs right up until late Qing dynasty too!)</em>

Tibet once was once an independent country until the Mongols brought it to the Yuan Dynasty. Tibet then became an autonomous region of the Chinese Empire. It claimed its independence during the Chinese Civil War, but none of the existing governments recognized it. When the Communist Party took power of in China, the 14th Dalai Lama fled abroad. But after a long exile, he came back to China and signed an agreement with the central government in 1951. According to this agreement, Tibet would belong to China, and the 14th Dalai Lama still had the power, position and the wealth that he had previously. And Although China was a republic country at that time, Tibet as an autonomous region could still have its own system -- an integration of religion and politics. All things remained the same, including the three masters, serfs and lansens.

It is very helpful essay providing new perspective of 14th Dalai Lama. But I wonder how Tibetians think about your essay. I will read more articles about the history and politics of Tibet to discuss with you.