Misa
10/10/2014 “The Potato Eater” is a painting by Vincent Van Gogh. In this painting Vincent wanted to depict peasants’ real life. In the painting, Vincent tried to paint the peasants as natural as possible. In a dark room, peasants were sitting around the weathered table, stretched out their bony fingers to reach the potatoes from a large platter. The only light source was from a little oil lamp hung above the table, enough for us to observe the detailed facial expression of peasants, but too weak to brighten up the whole room. This setting helps us to focus on the peasants in question. Peasants were ungroomed and plain-looking. From them, you can feel the hardship that they had gone through. This is a painting to evoke the emotional response to the human condition, not so much to showcase Vincent’s technical painting skill.

10/10/2014

“The Potato Eater” is a painting by Vincent Van Gogh. In this painting Vincent wanted to depict peasants’ real life.
In the painting, Vincent tried to paint the peasants as naturally as possible. In a dark room, peasants are  sitting around the weathered table, stretching out their bony fingers to reach the potatoes from a large platter. The only light source is from a little oil lamp hung above the table, enough for us to observe the detailed facial expression of peasants, but too weak to brighten up the whole room. This setting helps us to focus on the peasants in question. They are ungroomed and plain-looking. From them, you can feel the hardship that they have gone through.
This is a painting to evoke the emotional response to the human condition, not so much to showcase Vincent’s technical painting skill

I am not sure I agree with the last sentence.I think it is also amazing technically and emotionally.

When we describe art works we usually use the present.

I love this painting. I love how their face express among them. The man on the left is my favourite
Actually Misa, Vincent Van Gogh is my favourite artist of all times. That day on italki I mentioned this painting "potato eaters" & how much it shows his creativity. I know that "Starry Night" must be more famous than this one & also his paintings "flowers" that he drew in Arles/France, but this one is unique in my opinion. Thank you for sharing :)