Mumtaz
Community Tutor
Exercise About Tourism: By Teacher Andi. 20 Words to describe tourists: Cheerful, fully equipped, picky (about food), simply dressed, smiley, flexible, loud, curious, open-minded, active, tanned, tall, experienced, happy, fun-loving, easygoing, good listeners, courageous, punctual, prepared. 200 words about tourists in my town and suggestions to improve their experience and avoid problems tourism create: My country depends on tourism as one of its important resources; Jordan is full of historical sites & we are used to seeing tourists & travelers all the time. I remember since my early childhood that me & my cousins used to love tourists when meeting them at our historical sites, but all my life I’ve noticed the same things about them no matter where they’re coming from & in here I’ll try to summarize my experience in few points: 1. Tourists are usually dressed in a way that doesn’t show much respect to our culture & religion, I don’t deny their rights in being comfortable, yet my suggestion is that they give a little consideration to the country they’re visiting and I’m sure they’ll be able to compromise & wear clothes that are suitable to both. 2. Tourists sometimes think that the locals come in the same package with the historical sites; meaning: they like to take photos for us here without taking a permission first, thinking that this will make us happy, when in fact this doesn’t show much respect to us as human beings. I suggest that they show more respect by asking people first if they like to be photographed. 3. Tourists “males and females” especially those who are in relationships, often forget that they’re in an oriental Islamic country! Their behaviors & gestures hurt the public taste. I suggest that every tourist read carefully about the country they intend to visit before time & then decide whether it’s suitable for them or not. 4. Tourists tend to deal with the locals as second class citizens. At historical sites they behave as if they own the place & their body language show that they’re not comfy to be near locals or surrounded by them. I’m not sure why! Of course I don’t generalize in any of the points that I mentioned earlier. So I suggest that they always remind themselves that the locals have all the right to visit those sites because it’s their country. To be continued in the first comment...
2

Exercise About Tourism: By Teacher Andi.

20 Words to describe tourists:
Cheerful, fully equipped, picky (about food), simply dressed, smiley, flexible, loud, curious, open-minded, active, tanned, tall, experienced, happy, fun-loving, easygoing, good listeners, courageous, punctual, prepared.

200 words about tourists in my town and suggestions to improve their experience and avoid problems that tourism creates:
My country depends on tourism as one of its important resources; Jordan is full of historical sites & we are used to seeing tourists & travelers all the time. I remember since my early childhood, that me & my cousins & I used to love tourists when meeting them at our historical sites. But all my life I’ve noticed the same things about them no matter where they’re comeing from & in the following here I’ll try to summarize my experience in few points:
1. Tourists are usually dressed in a way that doesn’t show much respect to our culture & religion. I don’t deny their rights in being comfortable, yet my suggestion is that they give a little consideration to the country they’re visiting and I’m sure they’ll be able to compromise & wear clothes that are suitable to both.
2. Tourists sometimes think that the locals come in the same package with the historical sites; meaning: they like to take photos for of us here without taking asking/requesting a permission first, thinking that this will make us happy, when in fact this doesn’t show much respect to us as human beings. I suggest that they show more respect by asking people first if they like to be photographed.
3. Tourists “males and females”, especially those that who are in relationships, often forget that they’re in an oriental Islamic country! Their behaviors & gestures hurt offend the public taste. I suggest that every tourist reads carefully about the country they intend to visit before going time & then decide whether it’s suitable for them or not.
4. Tourists tend to deal with the locals as second class citizens. At historical sites they behave as if they own the place & their body language shows that they’re not comfy to be near locals or surrounded by them. I’m not sure why! Of course I don’t generalize in any of the points that I mentioned earlier. So I suggest that they always remind themselves that the locals have all the more rights to visit those sites because it’s their country.

To be continued in the first comment...

I know how hard it's to correct in the comments, we asked italki staff to add correction tools in here & they promised they'll add them soon:) I'm happy you shared your opinion as well & that you understood why I wrote these points about tourism, yet as I said earlier sometimes I used to meet tourists that are different & these things don't apply to them at all (,") Again, thank you very much, Bree...
Sorry my changes don't stand out in the comment, but I couldn't format the text here. This is really good language wise and interesting to read. I feel that this is a problem in a large proportion of the world, in many places that I have travelled, where people don't respect where they are, and end up being bad tourists.
5. Male tourists should pay more attention when dealing with a local girl, it’s not prohibited, yet if they need to ask a girl about anything, they need to be formal & if they wish to thank her, it would be much better if they say “thank you” without shaking hands or hugging;) Otherwise they might get into serious trouble. 6. If a tourist feels that he is not understood, it would be really impolite to raise their voice or shout, as the locals mostly don’t have hearing problems. I suggest that the tourists find someone who speaks their language first. At historical sites you usually find people who speak all languages. But if there is no one, I advise them to buy language books before their visit to any country that explain in the simplest way of how to ask for things in their native language & in the local language. These books are real life savers in these situations. Finally I've got to say that in many occasions I meet wonderful tourists that have given me the best views about them & their countries. They actually make me wish to visit them one day, just because they showed tolerance & respect to our culture & acted more like travelers, not tourists. For them it was more about the journey, not the destination & this is why they were successful in enjoying everything during their trip despite all of the obstacles & also in getting the proper attention & respect wherever they go. PS: sorry Andi, I wrote more than 200 words, I think I got carried away:) Thank you very much for the wonderful exercise.
5. Male tourists should pay more attention when dealing with a girl from the locals, it’s not prohibited, yet if they need to ask a girl about anything, they need to be formal & if they wish to thank her, it would be much better if they say “thank you” without shaking hands or hugging;) Otherwise they might get into serious trouble. 6. If a tourist felt that he is not understood, it would be really impolite to raise their voice or shout, as the locals mostly don’t have hearing problems. I suggest that the tourists find someone who speaks their language first, at historical sites you usually find people who speaks all languages. But if there was no one, I advise them to buy books way before their visit to any country that explain in the simplest ways how to ask for things in their native language & in the local language. These books are real life savers in these situations. Finally I've to say that in many occasions I met wonderful tourists that gave me the best idea about them & their countries. They actually made me wish to visit them one day, just because they showed tolerance & respect to our culture & acted more like travelers, not tourists. For them it was more about the journey, not the destination & this is why they were successful in enjoying everything in their trips despite all the obstacles & also in getting the proper attention & respect where ever they go. PS: sorry Andi, I wrote more than 200 words, I think I got carried away:) Thank you very much for the wonderful exercise.