The Bus Driver Strike in Bogota Earlier today, the inhabitants of Bogota learned after leaving their houses to commute that a bus driver strike started and that its end is indefinite. There are two reasons why bus drivers went on strike. The first one is that buses that belong to private companies were banned from running in the city on some days. This restriction was imposed by Mayor Petro. The banning to run on certain days depends on the number of the license plates of the buses.(I will explain this restriction in another post). This measure is called "Pico y Placa", and has been applied in Bogota for 16 years to passenger cars and taxis. The extension of this measure to buses caused the owners of buses and their drivers much displeasure. The second reason is that the city hall owes many owners of buses money for the renting of their buses. These buses are being used in the new public bus transportation system called "SITP". SITP has been such a failure since its inception. Most of the buses always run almost empty. This situation happens because most people do not know where they can buy the debit cards to be able to get on these buses, inclunding me. Also, almost no one knows what the stops of these buses are. Therefore, despite the implementation of this new bus system, old buses still run on the roads of Bogota. These old buses are the ones that did not run today in Bogota. This situation affects lots of people, who were forced to take the so-called Public Transportation System named Transmilenio. A crowded and unsafe transportation system that deserves another post to explain what it is and why it causes so much anger among the inhabitants of Bogota.

The Bus Driver Strike in Bogota

Earlier today, the inhabitants of Bogota learned after leaving their homes to commute that a bus driver strike had started and that its end is was indefinite. There are two reasons why the bus drivers went on strike. The first one is that buses that belong to private companies were banned from running in the city on some days. This restriction was imposed by Mayor Petro and . The banning to run on certain days depends on the number of the license plates of the buses.(I will explain this restriction in another post). This measure is called "Pico y Placa", and has been applied in effect in Bogota for 16 years to passenger cars and taxis. The extension of this measure to buses caused the bus owners of buses and their drivers much displeasure.
The second reason is that the city hall owes many bus owners of buses money for the renting of their buses. These buses are being used in the new public bus transportation system called "SITP". SITP has been such a failure since its inception. Most of the buses always run almost empty. Most of the buses run with few or no passengers. This situation happens because most people do not know where they can buy the debit cards (not sure 'debit cards is the best term, maybe bus cards or bus tokens?) to be able to get on these buses, including me. Also, almost no one knows what where the stops of these buses are. Therefore, despite the implementation of this new bus system, old buses still run on the roads of Bogota. These old buses are the ones that did not run today in Bogota.
This situation affects lots of people, who were forced to take the so-called Public Transportation System named Transmilenio. Transmilenio is a crowded and unsafe transportation system that deserves another post to explain what it is and why it causes so much anger among the inhabitants of Bogota.